1st match help?!

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

1st match help?!

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

Hi, I am considering going to Tusco in June or July and shoot my first match. I will dip my feet in smallbore. I sent an email to Tusco, but have not had a reply as of yet. There are just a few questions that I have because I am nervous and excited for the first match.

Register prior to shoot?
Does a shooter shoot both days or one?
Registration cost per class?
Specific time to report?
40, 60, or 80 targets per class?
Can I shoot standing with a scoped production smallbore?

Thank you for any knowledge.

Doug
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Re: 1st match help?!

Post by Proclaim »

Anybody from the Tusco area willing to give this person some much needed information??
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Hi Doug,

I'm not from the Tusco club, but have been there to shoot before. As far as I know, you won't have to register prior to shooting, you can shoot either or both days, whichever you want. Most likely it is their normal 40-round match, but bring extra ammo just in case. I believe you can show up any time of the day to shoot, and walk right up to the firing line if there is an opening.

You can shoot your scoped production smallbore gun from any position you want, standing included. Technically, that gun would fall into the Unlimited Any Sight category, but the match director will put you in the correct one. All you have to do is go shoot and have fun. They will take care of all the details.

Don't be nervous, we've all gone through that before, and some still are after many years of shooting steel. Just try to relax and don't worry about the scores.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

Thank you IHMSA 80x80 for the info. I have read many of your posts here and on the DW forum. I really enjoy the pics of your toys.
NRA Life Member **==
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Tusco also has resets so you shoot five targets and then a reset and then shoot the same five again. They run great matches and have great people there that will help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all had to start at one time.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Hi Doug,

Welcome to silhouettes!
We have no pre registration. Show up anytime and you will be able to shoot. We typically start around 10:00 on Saturday and a little earlier on Sunday. Sometimes as early as 9:00. Saturdays we shoot till we don't want to shoot anymore and Sunday we shoot till at least 2 sometimes till 3 . Then we tear down.

Bring whatever gun you have and we will let you shoot it. We will tell you if it is IHMSA legal and for what category. We will help you, watch you and make sure you are shooting in a safe manner.
There will be several guys there that will let you shoot various types of guns and we will even give you some ammo to shoot them with.
As far as money, the match director usually sets the amount depending on how many guns you shoot. We usually have a one price shoot all day kind of deal and it is either 25 or 30 on Saturday and 20 or 25 on Sunday. If you want just shoot one or two guns then it is by the gun. Guests usually pay 5 per gun. If your nice first one might be free.
Normal monthly matches are 40 round but bring as much ammo as you can and we will let you shoot it up.
You can shoot one day or come both days, your choice.

When you get there don't be shy come right up to the center where the range master stand is and ask for Mark Basham (match director) or Jim Kesser ( he will usually be running the line).
Hope this answers most of your questions. If you want to chat about specifics, email me and I will try to answer. I know almost everything and if I don't know, I'll make something up.
My email address is. Jimologist@aol.com
Put Tusco or silhouettes in the subject .

See you in June or July.

Jim Kesser.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

Doug welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Those guys at Tusco sure put on a fine match. Jim and Mark wont steer you wrong. Best advice for any new person, show up, bring gun and ammo, eye and ear protection then ask someone to help. They will soon have you hitting targets.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

Thank you guys very much. I actually just got back from my home range. I shot some paper smallbore scaled targets with my scoped buckmark and iron sighted contender. The target that gave me the most trouble was the chicken. Total mind game and somewhere in my mind I told myself that they were too easy to miss. Well, I was wrong. Those short 3d targets in archery have given me the same kind of problems.

Anyway, I am really excited and think I may come to the shoot next week.
NRA Life Member **==
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Doug, Punching paper is good for practice, load development and finding the right ammo for your SB gun but when you hit that first metal target, hear the clang and see it fall you will be hooked. Be prepared to find the most helpful people you will ever meet and don't be afraid to ask questions or take up offers of guns to use and ammo to shoot. We are all one big family here. By all means make it to the Tusco match if you can. I would also like to invite you to our range, the Logan Handgun Association range located about 1 mile north of the US33/US68 junction on the north edge of Bellefontaine, OH. We shoot SB, BB and FP and would like to have you at our matches. If you can hook up with people there at Tusco, some of them come to our matches. Our next match is June 28. Lynn
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Tips from someone who's 1st. match was 3 years ago
Stop look and listen you will learn more from that than pulling the trigger
don't worry about target count but set realistic goals
Take written notes review those notes as soon as you get home
everyone had a little different style tailor your equipment to yours
everyone has opinions not all will work for you
get there with a smile on your face and leave with a smile on your face and have fun in between
My very 1st. match I shot a 6 SB standing last month when I made "AAA" Richard P congratulated me and reminded me of that humble begining B-)
take it from some one who knows Chicken can be very humbling @-)
after Jims rundown I've got Tusco on my todo list. That may have been the best Invite I have ever read here :ymapplause:
That would be a great write up for the News paper Joe
I'm also hoping to make up and shoot with Lynn :-h and Tonedaddy ^:)^
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA