rear sight click value calculations

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
rr1220
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

rear sight click value calculations

Post by rr1220 »

with all the firearms knowledge available on this sight I find it difficult to believe no one could offer assistance in helping me determine the click value on a rear sight on a known sight radius.
for those that may be able to make use of this type of information this is what I found.
If you have a caliper and can figure out how to measure the height of the rear sight then you can calculate it.

Measure the height of the rear sight. Move it up 10 clicks and measure the height again.

Now take the two measurements and calculate the difference (the amount that the sight moved).

Now measure from the rear of the front sight to the front of the rear sight. That's your sight radius in inches.

Now take the amount the sight moved and multiply it times 3600 (that's 100 yards in inches)

Take that result and divide it by the sight radius in inches.

Divide that number by 10 and you'll have the amount (in inches) that moving the sight a single click will move the point of impact on a 100 yard target :ymparty: :ymparty:
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: rear sight click value calculations

Post by 260 Striker »

That sounds like your actual "line of sight" adjustment but would not factor in the variables like weight of the bullet or velocity differences at various yardages. I'm sure this will get you a good starting point and may actually be on the money for whatever gun/load you are using but be prepared to use the screw driver/elevation knob just in case. Over the years I have learned some standard clicks that seem to work for me as long as I can get a good zero for chickens. I have shot so many matches with new guns and new loads and only was zeroed for chickens but that is just me. You have taken the scientific approach and will probably get you pretty close or even dead on. Thanks for sharing the formula with us.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
rr1220
Spotter

Post by rr1220 »

gotta start somewhere,once I find out how much each click moves the sight I use a ballistic calculator to get estimated come up and make finer adjustments at a match
your welcome
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

The concept is sound but sometimes actual match results can differ. The assumption is that every click has the same value. I have found over the years that, depending on the individual rear sight, click values can sometimes differ. Bomar sights usually track true for me but some factory sights don't always track true. It depends on the accuracy of the detents cuts.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer