ANSCHÜTZ barrel replacement?

The bullets may be smaller but not the challenge.
User avatar United States of America
Kitsap
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 45731

Re: ANSCHÜTZ barrel replacement?

Post by Kitsap »

Jerry,

A couple of thoughts. If you have an Exemplar that works with the ammunition, just measure the twist of the barrel and stay with what works. All of the custom 22 actions use a Remington pattern trigger so Jewel, Timney, or Kelby triggers will work depending on the depth of your budget.
Doug
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Look for an Anschutz 64LP...they came with 12" bull barrels and a synthetic stock. Sounds like just what you're looking for. The 14" Exemplars are kind of hard to find, and they go for premium prices.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

Post by benenglish »

tonedaddy wrote:Good luck with this, Calfee was the only one doing this and his wait is probably over a year and the cost would be several thousand dollars, ...
My understanding is that they're no longer made; that might explain what I saw elsewhere recently. There was a Calfee .22 XP in the benchrest.com classifieds a couple of weeks ago for, as you say, several thousand dollars. (I don't remember the exact number, just that it was stratospherically high.) AFAICT, it was bought and the listing was gone in a day or two.
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

This is an update on what I have done to resolve the Anschutz barrel replacement. I'm sure it will be totally contrary to what some would do but, as noted the hole purpose of changing the barrel was balance not an accuracy issue. An out of the box Exemplar shoots quite well.

If you scan the IHMSA paper match results, it is obvious there are some excellent scores in Unlimited Standing being shot with Anschutz pistols. There are a few RPM XL's but the majority are Thompson Center Contenders. And you will also find that some of our top shooters in this sport are using T/C's. I have also used a Contender with great results in Big Bore but have since switch to an XP for the pure reason of lock time.
I have decided to purchase a 15" MGM Contender barrel. I have numerous MGM barrels and all are great shooters. This will provide the length needed for balance and I have only invested $255.00 much less than re-barreling.
I will set the Exemplar up as an Unlimited gun with iron sights. Only time will tell if this was the right decision. All the comments everyone made were very helpful and I'm sure to others looking to upgrade there bolt guns.
thanks, Jerry
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club