Field Pistol World records

United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Field Pistol World records

Post by Jimologist »

Here is what I have been able to compile: I started with Richard Kiesov’s last column in the IHMSA News listing all the World records. Then I went through all the old IHMSA News and Silhouette’s that are on Steve Bishop’s thumb drive. For those not aware, Steve Bishop accomplished an amazing feat by scanning all the old IHMSA News and Elgin Gates Silhouette Report. Thank-you for countless hours on this task. Without Steve’s work, my research would have been virtually impossible without somebody saving the physical copies of the newspapers.
Here are some of the salient points; There were no Field Pistol reports in the Silhouette publication. The earliest mention of Field Pistol and the first Presidents Club column I found was in the 1990 IHMSA News. Field Pistol was not shot at the Internationals until the 1998 match in Oak Ridge Tenn. Field Pistol had its own International Competition and the first one was held in Tucson Ariz. In Oct. 1992 and hosted by Jim and John Rock. During the years of 1992 to 1997 the Field Pistol Internationals was both centerfire and small bore (.22 LR) and consisted of four events like the NRA Hunter Pistol matches. The smallbore competition of Field Pistol was dropped in 1998.
As near as I can determine all of the Field Pistol Championships between 1992 and 1997 were held in Tucson except for one which was held in Gans, Pa.
Field Pistol PAS has many 40 round perfect scores and many of the shooters listed had multiple 40’s in multiple years. I did not list those multiples nor did I list the dates when specific records were shot as most specific dates were not listed in the original publications.

I found one more new record and that is Jared Richards 60 round aggregate of 111.
Attachments
IHMSA Field Pistol World Record HoldersJuly2023.pdf
(68.2 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Last edited by Jimologist on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Re: Field Pistol World records

Post by nutcase »

I want to add one thing...

Field Pistol became an official category in January 1987...
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B

Post by Jimologist »

We have a correction to make to the above World Record document. It appears that Lon Pennington shot a 57 in Field Pistol prod. at the West Coast Championship in 2009 which set and stands as the World Record for a 60 round match. He also shot a 54 in Production Any Sight at that match which set the World Record Agg for a 60 round match at 111. Lon Pennington is an amazing silhouette shooter and holds many records in both IHMSA and the NRA.

It was my pleasure to sit and chat with Lon for 15 minutes at the 2010 Internationals at Tusco where he set an incredible record aggregate in the Ironman.

That field Pistol aggregate number still stands and was just recently tied by Jared Richards at Terre Haute in 2022.

Those corrections have been made to the above document.

Jim Kesser
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B

Post by Jimologist »

There was one more amazing round shot at the World Championships at Terre Haute last week.

Our President, Doug Edney shot a Prod. 53 and a PAS 58 for a World Record aggregate of 111 tying Lon Pennington and Jared Richards for a 60 round match.

I have personally observed all three of these gentlemen shoot and it is astounding to say the least.

The above attachment record has been updated to reflect Dougs score.

Congratulations Doug Edney on a World Class achievement!

Jim Kesser
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B

Post by Jimologist »

I have another record to report.

At the Tusco match last month, while shooting the bull and talking with Doug Edney, We were discussing how odd it is that a World record was tied in field pistol last year and it is so rare for perfect scores to happen in PAS. And it has yet to happen in FP-P.
We were talking about the Ohio shooters who have come close, and Doug Toman mentioned, "back in the day I shot one and Phil McCullough shot one"

I asked Doug Toman about it a couple days ago and he said he would dig up his card from back then. Doug produced that card and it shows he shot a perfect score on 10/23/2005 at N. Lawrence Ohio. I have verified that score and it was posted to the Jan/Fed 2006 edition of The IHMSA News. What did not happen at the time was its inclusion in the records program. That error has been corrected and Doug is listed on the records page with a perfect 40 X 40 in Field Pistol Production Any Sight. The perfect scores in standing categories SB, BB, and FP have only happened with scopes and they are few and far between. The people who have attained that feat are held in awe by everyone. Especially by other standing shooters who have never gotten one.(like me).

Another interesting bit of history about the N. Lawrence Ohio range. It was a haven for superb standing shooters and many, many 60 club awards were presented at that club. This is the range where another Ohio shooter, Gary Rex set the current record of 37 in small bore standing.

Jim Kesser
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Congratulations to Doug Edney for an outstanding accomplishment! Silhouette is not a new sport, setting records in this age means shooting against the the combined best shooters in the world from the last 4 decades. Great job!!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000