Crosman 600

The quiet competition means you can hear them sweat.
Boomer
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57468

Crosman 600

Post by Boomer »

I just bought one on GB, probably spent more than I should... I guess I am trying to recapture my youth.

The summer of 76 my Granddaddy gave me one new in the box as a early birthday present. Boy did I love that pistol & did it ever shoot! I made feats of marksmanship with that pistol that my little brother still brings up on occasion.

Regrettably I traded it off a couple years later for a H&R "Trapper" 22 revolver. I remember thinking "what a deal, a "real" gun for this old "bb" gun".

I hope it shoots as well as I remember! :mrgreen:
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Crosman 600

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Very cool Bob. Those are really neat little guns. I got mine in 2004, and it was in an auction for collectible cartridges. Had Ralph make a set of cocobolo grips for it.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
Boomer
Site Admin

Post by Boomer »

Thanks Dean,

I am itching for it to get here! :mrgreen:

Cocobolo is exactly what I was thinking for mine as well!
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
Boomer
Site Admin

Post by Boomer »

My 600 came yesterday in the mail & it was like Christmas for me!

It is in better shape than I originally thought. The 2 small spots of paint missing in the above picture are almost all that is wrong with it (they are actually hardly noticeable in person). Some nitwit in days past took a pair of pliers to the CO2 cap as well. Fortunately it isn’t as bad as you would imagine, just noticeable.

After fondling it for 20min, looking though the sites & imagining the starlings vanquished in days gone by I just couldn’t take it anymore & loaded up a Crossman Powerlet. My joy continued to build when I did not hear any gas leaking. I loaded up 5 H&N Match 22cal pellets & got in my semi dead frog firing position & took aim at a 1/10th scale chicken on a spinner set at 10m.

My 1st shot poked a nice 22 cal hole in the drywall above my trap. I had noticed while fondling it that the rear site was set awful high but forgot about it. After bottoming out the rear sight you wouldn’t believe my amazement when my next shot sent the chicken spinning! 9 more shots at the chicken only resulted in 2 more hits but I was still encouraged! :mrgreen:

I have 4 different tins of match grade pellets to find out what she likes so guess what I will be doing with my evenings. 8-)
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
Boomer
Site Admin

Post by Boomer »

There is probably only 1 or two other people interested in this but I will continue to regale you all with my saga :mrgreen:

Events conspired against me last night & I was not able to do any shooting. Tonight was not the case...

The day I mailed off the PMO for this pistol I ordered 1 tin of every wadcutter design 22cal pellet that Pyramyd carries. They have SUPER FAST shipping & I had the pells in my hand 2 days later & was left waiting for the pistol to arrive.

When I pulled the pistol out of the safe I gave a push on the CO2 cartridge piecing pin & was gratified to feel a fair amount of resistance. I dont think it lost much if any pressure (YEAH!).

I set up a bench to shoot into my trap at 10 meters & proceeded to methodically put each pellet through its paces. I fully expected one of the match pellets to reign supreme but amazingly enough it was the RWS Hobby pells that did the best producing a 1/2 in group at 10 meters. I know that isn't exactly amazing accuracy but with iron sights & my aging eyes I was rather happy with it.
I didn't keep track of total shots but if I had to guess I think the CO2 cartridge started running out of steam at the 40-50 pell mark. I will need to do some testing over my crony to get the whole picture but I continue to be thoroughly delighted with the pistol.

Once I determined the best pell a couple clicks for windage & elevation brought it to zero at 10m & I was able to hit the chicken swinger each & every time off the bench. I know I wouldnt do nearly so well freestyle but its gratifying to know any misses are my fault & not the guns.

Bob

PS: Dean, you ever try any dome pells in your gun? I was tempted to buy a tin or two but preferred to stay with a style that I knew would feed in it.
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

That is great Bob. Sounds like you got a real nice one, and especially one that didn't need seal replacement. So far, I've only shot mine with H&N Match pellets, and it likes those. I need to get it out and test some more pellets. The 600 isn't noted for fine accuracy, but it is plenty good enough for what it was designed for.

I believe you'll get about 40 good shots from a powerlet, then another couple before it's empty. I have not tried any domed pellets in mine.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"