shooting chickens?

The quiet competition means you can hear them sweat.
ouraydog
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

shooting chickens?

Post by ouraydog »

I'm new to shooting airguns and find that hitting the chickens at 10yds is harder for me than any of the other targets set at their correct distances. Turkeys are next hardest. Anyone else find this to be true?

Currently shooting a IZH-46, 7X scoped, Sandlin mid rise mount, standing. I seem to be stuck at 24/40, with a best of 27/40. All my shooting is done in my back yard, haven't found anyone else in my area (San Diego) that is interested in air pistol silhouette.

Regards, Bill Barton
United States of America
johnranderson01
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 48827

Re: shooting chickens?

Post by johnranderson01 »

Your findings are in complete agreement with mine. The chickens may be the closest but there isn't enough steel out there for me to hit them all every time. Even from the freestyle positions I always breath a great sigh of relief when I finish the chickens.

John
John
IHMSA 48827L
Johnranderson21@gmail.com
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Here's why chickens are harder. Air targets are 1/10 the size of Big Bore targets. Big Bore chickens are at 50 yards; so, Air chickens should be at 5 yards (1/10 50). But they are at 10 yards for safety's sake (pellet bounce back).

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Knife Handler
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 29790

Post by Knife Handler »

Hey Bill,
I'm interested! I have a Cossman 2300S, but I've never shot it at any steel targets. If you'd like to get together some time to play, drop me a line as I'm just North of you in Temecula.
ouraydog
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by ouraydog »

I sent you a PM with my phone number.
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Knife Handler wrote:Hey Bill,
I'm interested! I have a Cossman 2300S, but I've never shot it at any steel targets. If you'd like to get together some time to play, drop me a line as I'm just North of you in Temecula.
Val & Bill,

Email Lorene at HQ for a few air pistol classification cards & score cards. When you shoot a match send in a match report & a buck per entry. Then you have an air pistol classification & can shot air pistols at the West Coast Championship.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
lionslair
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57022

Post by lionslair »

ouraydog wrote:I'm new to shooting airguns and find that hitting the chickens at 10yds is harder for me than any of the other targets set at their correct distances. Turkeys are next hardest. Anyone else find this to be true?

Currently shooting a IZH-46, 7X scoped, Sandlin mid rise mount, standing. I seem to be stuck at 24/40, with a best of 27/40. All my shooting is done in my back yard, haven't found anyone else in my area (San Diego) that is interested in air pistol silhouette.

Regards, Bill Barton
When I was shipping air targets (standing on feet, not winging ) last year I want to say -
I shipped the standard 1/10 set to the mother of the National Champ and along with it a 1/20 set.
The 1/20 set honed his skills when he got to many perfect 40/40's on the 1/10 set. It was a great
kick to help them out at no cost to them.
Consider a 1/2 tall and wide chicken - The central area is about a pellet size.
As others overcame so will you. You might not be sighted in for that zone very well also.

Martin
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Post by marshall623 »

I see grass hopper I too have big problem with air size chicken ~x( We don't don't have air matches in Va. so I made a set of targets for back yard practice