IZH Baikal air leakage-help!

The quiet competition means you can hear them sweat.
United States of America
steelkiller
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

IZH Baikal air leakage-help!

Post by steelkiller »

My Izzy will shoot, about half the time then nothing. I repump and pull the trigger with a slight trigger noise, once or twice, and then it goes. I have replaced the breech seals, and the cylinder piston seal as well. I got this gun with a very light crisp trigger, and never adjusted it. However, after looking at my manual, it said in very bold print, not to shoot the gun below a 24 ounce trigger pull. I checked with a pull gauge, and it had been set at 11 ounces, so I adjusted it up to 24 as specified, but it didn't help either. I saw a drawing on another forum that showed a delrin rod turned down with a point on it fit in the cylinder and install a rear seal in the cylinder. I have a seal, but I am reluctant to replace it without that tool. It sounded like it was very difficult to replace with out it. Anyone aware of that tool? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: IZH Baikal air leakage-help!

Post by aggshooter »

So I'm gonna ask silly questions, if for no other reason than to eliminate human error. Is there a chance you are short stroking the cocking arm? Pulling the cocking out & back without giving it a moment to "inhale"? Is the loading lever coming all the way to the rear before you latch it down on a chambered pellet? I have a couple that I have to pull back on the loading latch, I presume it's just my laziness in timely maintenance and needs a drop of oil. But it will either not shoot or it will fire prematurely. Beyond that, I (sadly) have nothing.

All my Izzys have light triggers, never a problem.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
steelkiller
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by steelkiller »

I learned from my Daisy days to swing all the way out, and hesitate. Nothing changed. For all you IZZY OWNERS...DO NOT BUY THE BREECH SEALS FROM A GUY IN POLAND! tHEY ARE GREEN IN COLOR, AND THEY DO NOT FIT AT ALL. Ebay refunded my money after I spent $17 in shipping and got no reply from the guy. $46.00 to buy with shipping, so I lost about $17 just find that they don't work. :(
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

I did some research on the web and found this post. This chap may be able to help you.

I'd send it to Steve Young, AKA: Nate Kiowa Jones. Probably the best Baikal guy I know.

Contact him at Stevesgunz.com ..... Ornery cuss at times, nut damd good at what he does at a fair price.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.