Aperature sizes for "peep on peep"

The quiet competition means you can hear them sweat.
User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Aperature sizes for "peep on peep"

Post by contender1121 »

I shot my first air pistol match at OKC this week. I did pretty well at UAS with my Morini (missed two which I shall put on first match jitters. If you miss anything you CANNOT blame THIS gun!). But, standing with my Izzy (factory sights) was abysmal. I am giving strong consideration to putting peeps on this gun. I have the capability to build the sight components myself and am interested in a consensus as to front and rear aperture sizes. Also, what is favored on the front, clear insert or metal rings?
On a side note, would/should the apertures change going outside for small bore?

I, of course, realize that individual preference plays a big part in aperture selection versus hard science.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: Aperature sizes for "peep on peep"

Post by jmoore »

I reckon the ISSF folk have a really good handle on aperture sight use. They do get the advantage of having round targets, but the concepts remain the same. Adjustable front and rear sizes can be a big help if you shoot in varying light conditions.

One good reference:

http://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.aspx ... sition.pdf
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Contact John Richards (captainjohn) on this site or Steve Martens. They're the guys to talk to.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I'm machining an adapter to put a Gehmann 510 adjustable iris on the Izzy's rear and I'm still designing the front. I've naturally got to install the back first so I can calculate the front height.
I also intend to set up a small bore Contender for Unlimited and utilize a Gehmann 590L sight (also with a 510 iris) on the rear and an Anschutz 9759 globe in front. Then I can make whatever front apertures that float my boat.
I'll post some pics when I'm all done.