news

IHMSA Monthly News
United States of America
xp-100
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57405

news

Post by xp-100 »

I am back from the World Championship Match in Okla. City. The World Championship will again be in Okla. City this next year. I will post the dates when they are verified. Now, there will be an amendment to the legal calibers for practical hunter course and field pistol and will be up-dated with the .300 AAC black out or 300 whisper added to the line up. There are some other topics I will discuss with the membership as they fully develop. Now for the bomb that fell. Wednesday night at the banquet Steve Martens dropped the bomb in front of everyone telling them he was dropping the president position in my lap for he was stepping down. I will need a little input and help from the membership to help get things back on track and try to turn things back around and bring the organization back to a growing sport if possible. I will post things as much as possible for the nature of what is happening or going to happen with out jeopardizing the situation.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA PC Coordinator(present)
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Re: news

Post by 64XP-100 »

Thanks for the info.

Since the parent case for the 300 BO/Whisper is 221 FB, is that also included in the amendment? Were other short (<= 1.29") bottleneck cartridges (256 Win, 357 Sig) considered?

Pat
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
United States of America
xp-100
Class B

Post by xp-100 »

there was other cartridges mentioned and talked about, but only the .300 whisper or blackout was adopted. The .221 fireball would do target damage and also the .22K Hornet was also mentioned and turned down for various reasons. The .300 AAC or whisper will be at the match directors decision whether to let the black be used at his range due to target damage. As with all calibers, if the cartridge firearm combination does indeed do target damage the match director has the right and can ask for the firearm to be removed from the firing line. There was other cartridges mentioned and discussed like the .256mag. 454 Casual 22K Hornet but were turned down because of target damage.
Last edited by xp-100 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

As it stands, a hot-loaded 22 Hornet, 30 M1 Carbine, and 32-20 will definitely damage targets. I cannot agree with the addition of yet another potential target-damaging cartridge ! The problem with target damage is the fact that when you determine that it is occurring - the damage has already been done ! I would definitely not allow a shooter to use a 300 B/O with factory ammo !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Why wasn't the 300/221 R added? It is the same cartridge as the 300 Blackout/Whisper with a rim. It was made Production legal many years ago by the TC Custom shop. I can't believe the people who wanted to include those two cartridges didn't know about the rimmed version. It still baffles me when these surprise changes are being made without input from at least MDs around the country. Seems like recent changes just pop up out of nowhere and only a select few know about the proposed changes. I submitted a proposed change to FP cartridges many years ago the included many short cartridges but that proposal just disappeared. Seems like handling proposed rule changes haven't improved much lately.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
xp-100
Class B

Post by xp-100 »

Lynn, the 300/221 R is in fact, basically the 300 blackout rimmed, so it would be considered a practical hunter/field pistol cartridge and could be used in either event at the match directors consideration. And Philip, it was discussed about target damage along with damage from the other cartridges you had mentioned. This is why it is stated at the match directors consideration. If the match director feels it should not to be used at their range then they have the right to turn it down before hand. This is true for any cartridge firearm combination as the rule book states. Some ranges have AR 500 plate targets and most likely will not be affected with the cartridge, but, some ranges do not have that type of steel and can be damaged with it. So, everyone who runs a range needs to be cautious when their are present in a match.
Last edited by xp-100 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
United States of America
xp-100
Class B

Post by xp-100 »

Lynn, these changes are discussed and brought up by match directors and state and regional directors around the world. If you requested a rule change then if it fell thru the cracks then it could have been for several different reasons.
(1) It was not summited in proper time.
(2) It was not brought up by who you summited it to.
(3) It was discussed and did not pass the board for approval or the delegations approval when voted upon.
(4) It was not for the better of the membership.
(5) It was never brought up to be discussed upon by the board members or the delegation.
If you will summit a rule change to me, I will bring it up at the board meetings and it will be discussed, but remember, it is up to the board whether it goes any further and then it has to pass the delegation which is your voice thru your state/regional directors which most are board members or who attend the delegation meetings at the championship match once a year.
Sometimes we can not discuss the changes if they are not brought up for discussion.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I suspect #2 is what happened to my suggestions. I would like to suggest that a reply be sent to anyone who submits rule changes so they will know what happened to their suggestion. Letting a proposal fall into a black hole is not a valid response. Respectfully, I would also AGAIN suggest that each committee submit comments in each newspaper to let everyone know what they are working on. Letting these recent change appear out of no where removes the IHMSA members, especially the MDs, from providing input on issues or rule changes. I know some of the past IHMSA business had to be conducted within house for legal reasons but many other things can be shared with the general membership while under consideration. We want to feel we are a part of the organization just not being told what to do all the time. Thanks for stepping up and for having a more open mind. You are getting off to a good start.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
xp-100
Class B

Post by xp-100 »

Lynn, and all members, there will be some changes and I think they will for the good. Everyone will be welcome to email me or post here in the forum and I will try to answer each and every question as soon as possible to the extent that I can to the situation. I am not scared to come on the forum and talk to everyone. This is part of my job to let the membership know what is happening and any up-dates as they appear. I think things will greatly make a turn a round for the organization. Hopefully things will get even better as time allows. Everyone remember-Rome was not built in a day and for that reason I can not make things happen that quickly, only time will allow me to do the quest. Please be patient and things will come forth.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Question - how many voting members were present at the meeting ? Was quorum met ?
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA