United States of America
WA_SHTR+44M
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 7771

Old Copies of IHMSA Newsletter 40 Years Flash Drive

Post by WA_SHTR+44M »

TO ALL Members,

"I DID IT"

I finished all of the newsletters and have them on the flash drive. I am so relieved that I was able to get this challenge done and available.

Again this is not done professionally but rather through determination and for the Want of preserving some of the history of IHMSA. There are a few skips and misses here and there along with some pages that I had limited control of scanning ability because during the later days of the 2000's they ran the center pages of the print-up as a overlay through the center of the fold in the paper. Also I had some scanning problems where my scanner decided to act up and throw me a loop now and then. Most of my time doing the scanning was accomplished at 3:30 in the morning so that I could at least do one complete years' worth without any interruptions of my phone ringing or someone stopping at the door. When I found out that I only had 30 seconds between placing one page onto the scan bed before the scanner timed out it was rather frustrating to hurry up and get the next page in place without having to start over from the beginning after I had already scanned 25 or more pages from a issue that had 40 pages. This only happened to me a couple times once I figured out a method to do it somewhat like an assembly line would.

None the less I kept some basic records of what I did while I was doing this project and tallied up the numbers:

40 Years of Newsletters from 1977 to 2016
393 Issues
13,967 pages scanned
152 hours standing over the course of 2 months and 3 days
220 pages of duplicated error work (arrrgghhhhh....)
27 pages of trial and error here and there -- Just to get it set up on the scanner bed

Having the time to do this throughout the entire project -- PRICELESS and ENJOYABLE

I have reached out to various IHMSA members about my journey on this project and with their assistance in providing me with the actual newsletters and advice with email contacts that they gave to me for this task.

Special Thank You to my main contributors goes to:
Alan Nielsen – Sending me 4 boxes of newsletters of which were 95% complete for me to keep
Lynn Schultz – Sending me the requested issues to make up the missing issues needed
Dan Hagerty – Sending me the requested issues to make up the missing issues needed
Eric King – For all of the email assistance with this project
Philip Braud – For the loan of the much needed issue of January-February 1980

I have emailed with Steve Martens - Lynn, Alan and Eric about doing the copying of this project for others and want to make it available to the members and I have received the go-ahead to put this out. The stipulation is that I will not be doing this for a profit to sell but rather to recoup the costs of the 64GB flash drives needed which the 40 years from 1977 to 2016 take up about 70% of the space available and the shipping costs. I also planned to send some to the World Championships so that the International travelers attending the match may be able to purchase them to take home.

If you would like to take a look at the previous thread on IHMSA News -- Old Copies -- you can see how this project somewhat got its start and the conversation that took place.

You can send me an email if you like to: sbishoptx@msn.com

Steve 7771
Attachments
Scanning 2019.JPG
DSCN3030.JPG
Newsletters scanned 2019.JPG
IHMSA Member since 1996
B-) 1st Copy IHMSA Newsletter Flash Drive 40 Years 1977-2016
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Old Copies of IHMSA Newsletter 40 Years Flash Drive

Post by 260 Striker »

I had the great honor of assisting Steve (in a very small way) with his project. To preserve the 40 years of IHMSA newspapers is priceless. I was privileged to receive one of the first flash drives to review. I must say the quality of the information is very good considering the shape of the old copies and newsprint is not high quality to start with.
This information will bring back many memories for us old timers and will be a valuable source of information for the newer IHMSA members.
I joined in 1980 and can remember when many of these issues were brand new. I am amazed at what our organization accomplished in the early years and the many pioneers of our sport who spent countless hours to set up ranges, provide shooting information, and just plain keeping our sport going "way back when".
We should all congratulate Steve for the tremendous effort he put into this project and for the sleepless nights spent at his scanner.
I whole heartedly endorse this project and would suggest to ALL IHMSA members to get their own flash drives and relive our terrific past.
Well done Steve!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
wheelgun7360

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Ballpark price Steve? Allen
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Steve, I was very glad to help you with a "missing piece of the puzzle" . I do want to get a copy of the finished product, jut let us know the price. Thank you for all of your efforts !!
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
WA_SHTR+44M
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 7771

Post by WA_SHTR+44M »

Hey Everyone,

I Have been able to get some of the 64GB flash drives from E&@y and doing my very best at shopping to keep the cost down. So far I have some done up and I need to see about getting more blank ones from that same seller.

I want to make sure that I am not selling these for a profit but just the replacement cost of the flash drive and the shipping charges. Most of the shipping that I can do is through USPS and I am not sure what it would be if I were to send these out to International addresses but I can check into that and let you know.

I plan to send a few of them to the OKC and hopefully the International travelers can get some copies to take home with them. I'll try to coordinate this effort with Steve Martens if possible.

If you are interested in getting a copy send me an email to sbishoptx@msn.com --- and let me know your address to ship to. If you could also put your membership number on the email and if you can recall when you joined that would be something fun for me to see too.

Steve 7771

PS: I joined in 1996
Last edited by WA_SHTR+44M on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
IHMSA Member since 1996
B-) 1st Copy IHMSA Newsletter Flash Drive 40 Years 1977-2016
wheelgun7360

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Check is in the mail Steve! Thanks Allen
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

first, This I know was a BIG job and Thanks for doing it!

now, since I will be going to the World Champs, I would like to get a copy then.

I will also check some of my places about Flash drives. I still think I can get them cheap.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
wheelgun7360

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Everyone needs to get a copy of this!! Received mine today and just looked at some of the material. What a sight it was. Will take about a month or so to go over all the material. It is really something to find my first score in 1984 at a match!! Well done STEVE!!!! Allen
United States of America
MetalCutter
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 35804

Post by MetalCutter »

I'll second what Allen has stated......Great Job Steve! If you've got any interest in the history of IHMSA this is a must have.

John
No job is so simple that it cannot be done incorrectly.
United States of America
gibar
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by gibar »

MetalCutter wrote:I'll second what Allen has stated......Great Job Steve! If you've got any interest in the history of IHMSA this is a must have.

John
Got my copy ordered. Bring back the memories.
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA