Cherokee Gun Club - Nov. 1, 2014 Results

United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Cherokee Gun Club - Nov. 1, 2014 Results

Post by 260 Striker »

JM, Revolvers and cast bullets is really old school and couldn't be more appropriate for FP. I think it adds to the fun of shooting FP. I have used TCs and revolvers for FP (I'm lousy shot standing) and shot my highest score using a Colt Anaconda 44 with cast bullets. Like an idiot, I sold that gun. It was a shooter. Can't afford to buy one of them today!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

AtomicDogg wrote:Congrats Ole95 on your "100" Club score; especially in what I understand were some really challenging conditions

I'll second that Congratulations Ole95. Very good!
Also need to mention the great score from Kenneth Hale in US SB with his 37! ^:)^

We will have to locate a person to pick up the Small Bore Records program once again.
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

260 Striker wrote:JM, Revolvers and cast bullets is really old school and couldn't be more appropriate for FP. I think it adds to the fun of shooting FP. I have used TCs and revolvers for FP (I'm lousy shot standing) and shot my highest score using a Colt Anaconda 44 with cast bullets. Like an idiot, I sold that gun. It was a shooter. Can't afford to buy one of them today!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like the challenge! But poor ole' Kurt hasn't gotten used to missing, yet. Beats himself up something fierce.

Have been tempted to shoot a few matches using jacketed bullets. Range testing shows my groups are 1/2 to 1/3 the size than with my CB loads. But, with Richard Pickering as a long time example, I reckon it'd be bad form to bail now! Seems like things are progressing more in the past couple of years than in the entire previous go back in the Griffin Gun Club days.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Now that you mention the matches at Griffin; we had a lot of fun there. Some of it was at O B's BBQ after the toys were put away. It was a tough range but you could get 40s there. We had a lot of good tie breaker shoots. The membership there was / is primarily skeet & trap oriented with some bench rifle added. They did have a little of most everything; a small group of muzzle loaders, a fair contingent of Cowboy action / fashion show shooters, some action pistol types, too.
A few years ago they began hosting one of the ''Glock'' matches. Their matches run quickly and are usually only to 25yds on paper torso targets. It has been very well attended with entries running into several hundred over two and three days.
In an effort to eliminate ''skip outs''; bullets skipping over the berms by people shooting at cans and things on the ground, they ''raised'' the berms at 25 and 50m. The 25m berm became about 36'' and the 50m became about 60''. There was no berm at 75m as any bullets would impact the 100m berm which was at least 10ft. It has since been raised using a wooden wall.
There was no chance of holding any normal IHMSA match. You could possibly still shoot standing. Subsequently one of my achievements was to ''liberate'' (with permission) almost all of two sets of FP and four sets of SB targets and sighters. They have now found new and loving homes. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
User avatar United States of America
AtomicDogg
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 49169

Post by AtomicDogg »

And we thank you and the Griffin Gun Club immensely.....they do have a LOVING home at Little River Gun Club !!!!
Robert L. Walker
Co Match Director, LRGC - Lincolnton, GA
Past Region 2 Director
Past Georgia State Director
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper