IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Little River Gun Club - 22Jul2017 Match Results

Post by 260 Striker »

Looks like Melvin and Robert were getting serious this month!!!! Good to see a TC 30-30 do well in UAS. Sounds like a great match.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

260 Striker wrote:Looks like Melvin and Robert were getting serious this month!!!! Good to see a TC 30-30 do well in UAS. Sounds like a great match.
That TC in 30-30 was fielded by a serious handgun hunter. And this was his first ever Big Bore match! Unusual firing position (pistol held between his legs), which seemed to work fine for him. I helped him fine tune his POA at the Ram line as he had previously only shot out to 180 yards on his home range. He used hold over, even on the 1/2 scale shoot-offs!
His ammo?
Factory Federal (bought mostly because it was cheap) out to Turkeys and Hornady Leverevolution on the Ram line!

Just think what he could do if this just wasn't fun practice for hunting....

Funny thing is that we spotted for each other, helping to refine our hits which was critical for the wee shoot off critters at 200m. ETA2: To make it slightly more amazing, he went from 4x to 6x for the shoot offs and had to re-guessimate his hold over by scaling on a BB Ram before engaging the 1/2 scale Rams and one BB Chicken also at 200m.

Note that Lisa G also shot her first BB entry ever using a "work in progress" of mine. Completely unfamiliar pistol to her and with some features NOT suited for her, shot five sighters (one of which bloodied her nose!) and went on to do a fine job. Learned about two stage triggers, high magnification (10x) scope and their limitations, and a host of other things on the fly. (That "Mixmaster" is a manually operated kluge of AR parts with a really crappy foam rubber fore end. AtomicDogg has a photo from last month that he can share if he wants.)

ETA: A big thanks to RP for all of his pre-match entry coaching with Lisa. And to all folk who worked hard at the match doing set-up and tear down! Afraid I was about useless in that respect.
User avatar United States of America
AtomicDogg
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 49169

Post by AtomicDogg »

Sorry JMoore, I have looked but can not locate the photo I took last month.......one of the problems with getting older; you can't remember where you put stuff !!!

IHMSA is one of the only sports I know of that two competitors will spot for each when they are competing for the same award; that is what makes this an outstanding sport.
Robert L. Walker
Co Match Director, LRGC - Lincolnton, GA
Past Region 2 Director
Past Georgia State Director
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper
User avatar United States of America
AtomicDogg
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 49169

Post by AtomicDogg »

JMoore, another result of getting older is that you don't give up so easily.......here is the MixMaster, in all it's glory !!!
IMG_4480.jpg
IMG_4480.jpg (316.23 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
click on image for full view
Robert L. Walker
Co Match Director, LRGC - Lincolnton, GA
Past Region 2 Director
Past Georgia State Director
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

:))

Thanks for the extra effort! I never got a picture when the tie straps were being used.

Have been pondering the Mk.III version of the forestock for a while.

Have also been pondering iron sights, but I may have to go to a lighter contour barrel to meet weight restrictions.