Production Air Pistols

Here is the place to post your ideas and suggestions for the President of IHMSA.
Forum rules
Civility and decorum is expected. Any posts of an antagonistic or abusive nature will be deleted and the poster reprimanded.
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Production Air Pistols

Post by 19 Turkeys »

I recently discovered that Daisy ceased production of the 747 in 2015. I suggest that IHMSA approve this pistol for the Production class. Thank you for considering this request. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Vent ... _Pistol/61

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Re: Production Air Pistols

Post by contender1121 »

Probably the best choice to replace the Daisy but if someone wants to shoot flop with peeps they are going to be in trouble. The Crosman is at the top of heap in my book even tho one has to put up with dragging the air bottle around.
I would suggest the powers-that-be raise the cost threshold. If the cost of the current (very limited) choices goes up from inflation, any new shooters are going to be faced with Chinese-made junk.
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

I will speak to Rich and others who are well versed in air pistol. I have never shot it. Thank you for the heads up Steve.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

contender1121 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm Probably the best choice to replace the Daisy but if someone wants to shoot flop with peeps they are going to be in trouble. The Crosman is at the top of heap in my book even tho one has to put up with dragging the air bottle around.
I would suggest the powers-that-be raise the cost threshold. If the cost of the current (very limited) choices goes up from inflation, any new shooters are going to be faced with Chinese-made junk.
No question that the Crosman is a better pistol, but I don’t see a new shooter investing in a tank. We need a simple entry level pistol. I won the Production class in 2001 at Tusco with a 747 shooting a 77x80.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

I got started in air pistol with one and quickly made International with it. Then I moved up to the Crosmans. I built my 747 from spare parts ordered from Daisy, in Rogers. At that time they had a ton of left over parts and they were cheap.
717 was the base model. 747 got you the Lothar Walther barrel and the 777 got you wood grips. The basic innards were all the same.
It's a shame that air bottles cost as much as the guns these days.
No question that the Crosman is a better pistol, but I don’t see a new shooter investing in a tank. We need a simple entry level pistol. I won the Production class in 2001 at Tusco with a 747 shooting a 77x80.
Steve W.