IHMSA PRESIDENTS COLUMN JULY 2011

Here is the place to post your ideas and suggestions for the President of IHMSA.
Forum rules
Civility and decorum is expected. Any posts of an antagonistic or abusive nature will be deleted and the poster reprimanded.
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: IHMSA PRESIDENTS COLUMN JULY 2011

Post by high standard 40 »

I have been saying for several years that the requirement to shoot two entries to qualify for the Internationals needs to go away. This requirement has outlived it's usefulness. In today's economy there are a large number of people who just can't afford to travel the distance it takes to get to a range and compete during the year....or work requirements don't allow it. Dropping it from 3 entries to two was a help, but it's time for this to go away altogether. The State, Regional, or International Championship may be the only match some people are able to attend and we should not turn these folks away.

Charlie Braud
Match Director....Ascension Silhouette
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

I have to concur with Charlie. If it is kept, make it for the first year shooter only to ensure safety.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
mugs
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by mugs »

I'll third that.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L
Shoot only cast Boolits
Member since 1979 #5940
Former Match Director Anchor Rams
Former Match Director Phoenix Silhouette
Former Alaska State Director
NRA Life
IHMSA Life
Cast Bullet 80x80 1983
Knife Handler
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 29790

Post by Knife Handler »

I'm afraid that I have to agree that it needs to go away. I'm not saying that I would do it, but playing the Devil's advocate, I could fill in my score book with all kinds of false entries and who would question them? It's been a long time since I've shot in the Internationals, but it seems to me that no one is knowledgeable enough to make sure that all the entries are not just written in. I personally shoot 1 to 6 guns a match, once a month, but I could fill my card with all kinds of scores. Don't get me wrong as I wouldn't do such a thing, but in today's world, nothing surprises me any more. This is just my thoughts.
Knife Handler
Target Painter

Post by Knife Handler »

Or just let them shoot in the International class. Then it really doesn't matter how many classes or times you shoot.
high standard 40
Class A

Knife Handler wrote:Or just let them shoot in the International class. Then it really doesn't matter how many classes or times you shoot.
I can't agree with this. Requiring a AA class shooter to compete in International class will be a further impediment to participation. And we don't need any impediments.....we need participation.

I can agree with Steve's suggestion about first year shooters and the safety aspect.
IHMSA Member since 1980
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
gibar
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by gibar »

With the bad economy, high gas prices and expensive reloading costs this and all other shooting sports/games are suffering.

That being said there are some rules that probably need to stay in place so that the organization can keep some sense of fair play.

I do not know how many of you were at the Internationals in Fartville in 1974 but there was a newish shooter who in six classes shot one target below the double breakout rule winning six first places in either AA or AAA. Obviously a good shooter and just as obviouly a c....! Should have been thrown out but the organization was too busy screwing everything else up.

As for writing in scores that could be easily fixed with a little computer work logging scores with the shooters name or number.

There are no easy solutions to getting more attendance but changing the rule is not one of them.
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA
high standard 40
Class A

gibar wrote:With the bad economy, high gas prices and expensive reloading costs this and all other shooting sports/games are suffering.

That being said there are some rules that probably need to stay in place so that the organization can keep some sense of fair play.

I do not know how many of you were at the Internationals in Fartville in 1974 but there was a newish shooter who in six classes shot one target below the double breakout rule winning six first places in either AA or AAA. Obviously a good shooter and just as obviouly a c....! Should have been thrown out but the organization was too busy screwing everything else up.

As for writing in scores that could be easily fixed with a little computer work logging scores with the shooters name or number.

There are no easy solutions to getting more attendance but changing the rule is not one of them.
Gibar,
I was at Fortville and remember the instance you refer to. But the truth is that it has nothing to do with this discussion. If someone wants to shoot below his ability so he can stay in a lower class, he will do so at the monthly match also. And also consider he can only do what he did at Fortville a couple of times and then he's International class anyway.
You have to understand that there are shooters (I happen to be one) that do not have ranges anywhere close to their home. The closest Big Bore ranges to me just about require and overnight trip. There is only one Big Bore range in my home state and they have only 2 matches a year. Last year because of work, I could not attend either match. I am far from being a rich man and some years I can't afford to spend the money it takes to shoot the number of matches I'd like to. There have been years that I had to choose one Big Bore match a year to attend and it could not be a Championship match because of this antiquated rule. The break out rule is one thing. This issue is entirely something else.
I've been a member of IHMSA since 1980. To tell me that I can't attend the Internationals and compete because it's the only match a year that I can afford to travel to is just ridiculous.
IHMSA Member since 1980
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
johnranderson01
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 48827

Post by johnranderson01 »

My work keeps me from attending as many matches as I would like. This coupled with the number of different guns one is forced to choose between at the matches I get to attend makes things even harder. I would like to let the rule go away. Life would be much simpler.
John Anderson
John
IHMSA 48827L
Johnranderson21@gmail.com
Knife Handler
Target Painter

Post by Knife Handler »

high standard 40 wrote:
Knife Handler wrote:Or just let them shoot in the International class. Then it really doesn't matter how many classes or times you shoot.
I can't agree with this. Requiring a AA class shooter to compete in International class will be a further impediment to participation. And we don't need any impediments.....we need participation.
And what is the alternitive, if this AA shooter shows up to shoot? It's my understanding that he'll get to shoot, but just for fun and his score will not count. Really?! I'd rather shoot against the best and come in last, rather than spend all that time and money just to shoot. It might be fun, but I'd rather compete. I'm an International shooter is most of the categories I shoot in, but I don't see why I need to shoot a set number of times, in order to compete. I'm good with the new shooter getting a free ride for their first year shooting. I do agree that we do need participation, but I'm not sure that this would be an impediment. There are lots of arguments for both sides of this rule, this is just my opinion. If I'm wrong about this, forget I said anything and educated me.