Match entry requirement for Championship matches

Here is the place to post your ideas and suggestions for the President of IHMSA.
Forum rules
Civility and decorum is expected. Any posts of an antagonistic or abusive nature will be deleted and the poster reprimanded.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Match entry requirement for Championship matches

Post by braud357 »

I think that the time has come to do away with the match entry requirement for participation in championship matches. Many shooters, myself included - have to travel quite a distance to participate in monthly matches. I have a local smallbore and Field Pistol match, but my "home" club for Big Bore is 165 miles away, and this is going to be their last year because of declining participation. Next year, the nearest club to me will be Pearland Sportsman Club, which is south of Houston, TX. Folks, this is over 300 miles away ! With the price of gasoline, lodging, etc. - how many times can I afford to make this trip ? In reality, in terms of expense and driving time - it is not really worth it. I think that a properly classified , active member of IHMSA should be able to shoot his state, regional, or International championship without enduring such hardship. In Louisiana, I used to pick and choose where I wanted to shoot. Todays reality does not afford me this option. I hope that someone will address this concern at the Annual Business Meeting. I know that those of you with more "local" ranges cannot relate to my problem. Many have been saying that times have changed, and so should we. This is one change that is, in my opinion - long past due. many shooters can only afford one big match trip a year. Heck, I have not been able to attend the Internationals since 2004 ! I am hopeful that I will be able to make one soon. But, unless this rule is changed, I will not be eligible because of lack of entries. -- Respectfully, Philip Braud IHMSA #13794 Louisiana State Director
Last edited by braud357 on Thu May 01, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Match requirement for Championship matches

Post by 260 Striker »

Philip, I totally agree! With multiple ranges within "close" driving distances years ago the three match rule was easily met. Now with the reduced number of ranges, I believe the only requirement to shoot a championship match should just be one previous match to obtain classification for each class that a person wishes to shoot at a championship match. Does this allow a person to sandbag just to get classified then shoot a better score at a championship match. Possibly, but I say lets worry about that "if" it does happen. I think most, if not all, IHMSA shooters are very honest people and would not shoot an intentional low score just to get qualified. Either that or change the rule to just three previous entries over any number of years and not just the previous 12 months. Lack of ranges definitely has a negative effect on this requirement for championship participation and I would encourage some changes to the rules to allow more shooters to attend championship matches. I too would encourage someone at the annual meeting to address this concern.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt it used to be you had to shoot just
THREE GUNS to be qualified for championship matches? And if so, who
was the bonehead who came up with the three MATCH requirement?
I mean, we suffering for shooters now, so lets make it MORE difficult
to hold a championship match? Sometimes I think we are our worst
enemy!
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

The two category entry requirement needs to go away. There may have been a time when it was advisable but those days are gone. Let me give you an example. Let's look at........well let's call him Fred.

Fred is advancing in years and has not jumped a class in several years. He is either A or AA in most categories. He has no range within 300 miles of his home and is on fixed income. He can only afford to travel once a year, and then maybe not every year. If the two entry requirement stands, and he want to travel to a championship match as his vacation that year, he will be forced to shoot in International class. He say's "The hell with it, I don't stand a chance. It won't be any fun. I'll just throw in the towel and quit IHMSA".

Is that what we want? The sad truth is that there are an increasing number of people like "Fred". In Region 2 after 2014, there will be no big bore ranges between Houston, TX (out of our region) and Lincolnton GA. That's a lot of blank territory. The A class shooter Tonedaddy referred to is a consideration, but so is "Fred". At least with the A shooter there is the double jump rule to help ease that issue. And a sandbagger can only get away with that ploy once. If we alienate "Fred" we may loose a member. We can't afford that.

I say do away with the two entry rule and do it now.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Re: Match entry requirement for Championship matches

Post by ole95 »

Glad this was brought up
I've been trying make sure of the requirement
Because i plan to atend this years INT
I shot a BB match in march (5 guns)
A SB match in April (4 guns)
So can I shoot any gun that Im classified in
In this years INT
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

ole95 wrote:Glad this was brought up
In this years INT
You are covered - ready to go !
PS - you need to plan a trip to south Louisiana - I do owe you lunch !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

ole95 wrote:Glad this was brought up
In this years INT
As Phillip said you're set to go except for field pistol. I too think it should be amended, but would hate to see people with a local match "just down the road" quit going. The original intent of the rule was to make more money through match fees to IHMSA. And also to my understanding, certain people just showing up at state regional and internationals and winning all the prizes. Again I feel the pain of those who want to attend champioship matches and must travel long distances to get qualified and am happy with whatever the majority chooses.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
encore22
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 15735

Post by encore22 »

This requirement was discussed a few years ago. If memory serves me right, if there wasn't a club that held matches within a certain distance , the requirement was waived or lowered.
United States of America
gibar
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by gibar »

One of the intents of this rule was to try to prevent sandbaggers at championship matches. Did not always work.

At the Fartville Internationals there was an Ohio shooter who won 6 or 7 classes by virtue of one target short of a double breakout. He had only shot at one match the prior year.

With the current lack of matches, eliminating this rule should happen - but be careful what you wish for.
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

encore22 wrote:This requirement was discussed a few years ago. If memory serves me right, if there wasn't a club that held matches within a certain distance , the requirement was waived or lowered.
A few years ago, this was discussed and the match entry requirement was reduced from 3 to 2. I was not at that business meeting but I heard about it and the rule book reflects this. There is nothing currently in the rules about a "waiver".

I was at Fortville and that was a very long time ago. This is a very different world we live in today. IHMSA is no longer "on every street corner"
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer