Match entry requirement for Championship matches

Here is the place to post your ideas and suggestions for the President of IHMSA.
Forum rules
Civility and decorum is expected. Any posts of an antagonistic or abusive nature will be deleted and the poster reprimanded.
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Re: Match entry requirement for Championship matches

Post by Hosspower »

I just stumbled onto this thread. I joined IHMSA and the forum in June. I hope these issues will be brought up and resolved in OK.

As a rookie to the sport I have been trying to look forward only. In life though I am a firm believer in being fair and following the rules. As a manager of a metal shop I am obligated to address any personnel complaints. Sweeping it under the rug just upsets 1 person then it spreads like cancer. If I had found this thread before I joined I'm not sure I would have sent in my money without even batting an eye like I did.

Accomplished shooters are an asset to the organization. Why rock the boat with them? I have no time for anyone trying to work the system. Stand firm on written rule. If rule changes are proposed to make it easier for a shooter to attended a championship then by all means make it happen.

I hope people thinking about joining aren't finding threads like this. Look forward, keep honest members happy and do what we can to preserve/grow the sport.

Positive thread after positive thread will help without a doubt. I don't mean to plug another forum but if you want to see a popularity explosion just check out the Dan Wesson forum.
User avatar United States of America
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Post by marshall623 »

Hosspower wrote:I just stumbled onto this thread. I joined IHMSA and the forum in June. I hope these issues will be brought up and resolved in OK.

As a rookie to the sport I have been trying to look forward only. In life though I am a firm believer in being fair and following the rules. As a manager of a metal shop I am obligated to address any personnel complaints. Sweeping it under the rug just upsets 1 person then it spreads like cancer. If I had found this thread before I joined I'm not sure I would have sent in my money without even batting an eye like I did.

Accomplished shooters are an asset to the organization. Why rock the boat with them? I have no time for anyone trying to work the system. Stand firm on written rule. If rule changes are proposed to make it easier for a shooter to attended a championship then by all means make it happen.

I hope people thinking about joining aren't finding threads like this. Look forward, keep honest members happy and do what we can to preserve/grow the sport.

Positive thread after positive thread will help without a doubt. I don't mean to plug another forum but if you want to see a popularity explosion just check out the Dan Wesson forum.
Hosspower I know it sounds discouraging when you read about the issues that IHMSA as an organization is dealing with , but don't let those things set you back , I don't know how much handgun experience , skill level you have , but I can tell you one positive - IHMSA made me a better shooter all around , I learned principles that carry over to rifle , skeet , and hunting when that one & only shot counts . Positive # 2 I learned more about reloading than I would have without shooting silhouette , and casting and shooting cast bullets was the only way I could shoot if you know where I'm coming from . That forced me to get out the muzzle loader only casting equip. and learn a new skill it took a lot of trial and error but I can shoot cast just about as accurate as I can jacketed and I'm still working on it. You might say why ,well after 1 match I was hooked . Positive # 3 IHMSA has some of the finest people you will ever meet , some shooters that will blow you mind at the skill they have . It would be safe to say the majority would help any new shooter all that they could. I hope to be able to travel to some shoots some day but family, work , and what life brings our way sets higher on the list. If your able to go to the Int's then by all means enjoy it . I haven't been able to shoot any this year , and I've missed it . Tim
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

Marshall623, thanks for the reply.
I've only been to 1 match ever. Tusco last month. I can't wait to get there tomorrow. I spent 3 hours at a rifle range yesterday to get sight settings for big bore and load testing for field pistol. Today I spend 3 hours at another range with 25, 50 & 100 yard back stops to get sight settings for field pistol and small bore.

I was low score of the entire match last month but yes, I am hooked. All 3 of your points are spot on.

This thread has not discouraged me, IHMSA80x80's portion to this thread did make me think about new shooters.

I have never met IHMSA80x80 nor have I seen him shoot. He is however a big part of what led me to join IHMSA. I first saw him online in 2009 on the Dan Wesson forum. I would see that handle time and time again on other sites. I would google a topic, click on 1 of the forums that was listed and he would be part of the thread. He has an excellent internet presence. Always good information or a good looking pic of a competition gun. I know of at least 1 open range weekend at Crittenden open to members of specialty pistols and the Dan Wesson forum members. I wish I would have rearranged things back then so I could have gone. It's was just a bummer when I read that he quit his membership. And the reason for it.

Maybe I'm the only guy? I don't know? I think that any other guy like me trolling around the net thinking about getting into shooting steel will be running into information provided by IHMSA80x80.

I apologize for taking this thread further off topic.
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

Put the politics aside--get out there and go shoot. If you enjoy it, keep shooting. People spend too much time in this sport worrying about BS. I've never heard of anybody who quit shooting or quit volunteering their time due to shooting, it is always because of dumb-bass stuff. Put the sights on the target and squeeze the trigger, it is a great sport if we allow it to be.
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

Interesting question. I have been inactive for several years. I was classified A & AA in production and unlimited. I doubt that I could shoot my class because of a lack of practice. That is my fault. Point is I need to shoot in a match in order to improve my scores. Speaking for me and only me, I would not enter a championship match for fear of embarrassing myself.