3rd Party Re-barrels of BF Pistols

Here is the place to post your ideas and suggestions for the President of IHMSA.
Forum rules
Civility and decorum is expected. Any posts of an antagonistic or abusive nature will be deleted and the poster reprimanded.
United States of America
AtomicGun
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 49169

3rd Party Re-barrels of BF Pistols

Post by AtomicGun »

Maybe since BF now only offers two calibers in their silhouette pistols and has decided they will no longer re-barrel to any other calibers.......maybe it’s time to consider allowing 3rd Party Re-barrels
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: 3rd Party Re-barrels of BF Pistols

Post by Jimologist »

One of the nice thing about rules is the fact that they are open to interpretation.

I would consider the rebarreling of BF pistols by a third party to already be legal per our production rules. As long as it was rebarreled identically.

This is how the prod rule states this:
A) Where original replacement parts are no longer available for the handgun in question, a broken or unserviceable part may be replaced by a newly made one provided that the newly made part is identical in material, form, finish, dimension and configuration to the original part.

If you decide you are no longer happy with the accuracy of the original barrel, then it is unserviceable. Replace it.

Now there may be another interpretation that dictates that any replacement must be a caliber that at one time E.A. Brown did offer but I think they allowed about anything you desired.

If anybody challenges or throws down a $10 bill, see if i am available for jury duty.

Jim
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Jimologist wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:21 pm One of the nice thing about rules is the fact that they are open to interpretation.

I would consider the rebarreling of BF pistols by a third party to already be legal per our production rules. As long as it was rebarreled identically.

This is how the prod rule states this:
A) Where original replacement parts are no longer available for the handgun in question, a broken or unserviceable part may be replaced by a newly made one provided that the newly made part is identical in material, form, finish, dimension and configuration to the original part.

Jim
I concur. I am also available for Jury duty! :) :)

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

On a similar note:
Why in the Rules under Production-Section 7 is the TC singled out for variations but these variations are not applicable to other single-shot switch-barrel guns? Simply short-sightedness or pro-TC by the original Rules Committee?
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

I may be wrong but the specificity to the Thompson Center Contender in the rule book came about because Thompson discontinued making the G1.

When they replaced the G1 with the G2, they also never made 10” barrels again. The G2 was not offered as a complete gun with a 10” barrel. So an exception was made via this rule to allow the G2 to compete in production even though as a catalog item it did NOT conform to the barrel length rule. There has also been an exception for TC Custom shop barrels which became even more popular after the 10” barrels were dropped from normal production.
You could order exactly the same barrels in 10” from the custom shop and they were legal for production.

Notice the rule specifically says G2 and Encore.
IHMSA debated at great length about the 10”/12” rule and finally decided the 12” gave too much advantage to production guns.

Having shot years of Hunter Pistol, i agree. The scores that NRA shooters posted with 12” barrels with taco hold and peep sights were virtually identical to the scope scores. The added length and particularly the added sight radius makes the 12” barrel a huge advantage.

My 2 cents

Jim
Mexico
NicollGuaws
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by NicollGuaws »

Is there a particular reason why the rule book specifies the Thompson Center Contender in Section 7 regarding variations, and are there considerations for other single-shot switch-barrel guns?
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Don't have a rule book in front of me. Just guessing...it's the most common switch barrel gun and others would follow the same guidelines.
Do you have particular guns in mind?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000