Gun for Field Pistol

User avatar United States of America
SteveJewels
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57964

Gun for Field Pistol

Post by SteveJewels »

I recently 'discovered' IHMSA pistol silhouette, bought a 64P and shot two matches. Great!

I'd like to expand beyond smallbore. I had a Contender in 22 Hornet when I shot NRA Pistol Silhouette many years ago. The Contender is functional but I am not a fan of the trigger. The 22 Hornet is adequate for NRA but bordeline light on Rams for IHMSA FP but would be good enough for me with 55s. I managed to find enough 22 Hornet brass to get me going

Before I take the plunge on a Contender/Hornet, what other guns/cartridges should I consider for FP?
Last edited by SteveJewels on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
IHMSA 57964L

United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: Gun for Field Pistol

Post by aggshooter »

Take a few minutes to read the final results of the 2023 IHMSA Championship under the World Championship tab at the bottom of the Board index page. There were twice as many Hornet shooters as there were all others combined, including most of the top scores. I didn't review the standing scores for SB & BB, but I suspect those too were largely TC.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

Thanks for the reply @aggshooter

That pretty much covers it. LOL
IHMSA 57964L

United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

[Steve, welcome to IHMSA. Regarding the Contender and 22 Hornet; The hornet is entirely adequate for Field
Pistol. Why do you think it is not ?
The Contender trigger may not be satisfactory on an average action or one used for hunting. With proper care
the Contender trigger can be made under 1 lb. by many of us. You can do this.
You may have a couple of hammer springs. If not; buy a few after researching. Also pick up firing pins and springs.
The pins dont break often. Make a slave pin to aid the hammer spring.
RP
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

I can't find it right now. I remember a response saying the 22 Hornet was adequate for resettable targets common 'back east' but not necessarily for individually set targets commonly found in the west. I think there was a proviso that 55gr bullets were the minimum.

Sounds like the Contender is the best choice. I will have to explore ways to improve the trigger.

@Richard Pickering What is a slave pin?
IHMSA 57964L

19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

IMHO, a Contender chambered in 25-20 is the perfect FP combination.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

The slave pin is just for installation of the hammer spring. To change the hammer spring you remove the hammer pin and you can remove the hammer and hammer spring. The slave pin will hold the spring in the trigger but is no wider than the trigger. This allows you to drop the trigger, spring and slave pin assembly into the frame and when you install the hammer pin it will drive the slave out the other side. It makes life easier.
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

Thank you @Hosspower

Very cool
IHMSA 57964L

United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Steve, we agree!

I have fallen in love with the 25-20! Thanks for the brass, BTW!

It allows you to use just a little heavier bullet going a little slower, keeping the recoil down.
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

I found the post I was referring to;

Steve, the Hornet even with 60’s could cause one frustration with hand set target. You guys with auto resets and a topple point set up have it made. Coming west of the Mississippi may cause some shooters grief.

Recall some years back a conversation with Gary R, telling me how his 221FB was taking over BB rams with proper placement, ain’t gonna happen on any kind of a regular basis her, lol.

To the OP, a lot of work for what you get in return. I doubt brass or primer pockets will stand pressures to get decent results past 100 with the heavies, even for paper punching.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threa ... p.4104499/

The reference to "past 100" leads me to believe he is talking about something other than FP.
IHMSA 57964L