Questions about Metallic silhouette shooting field pistol division

United States of America
mg357
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Questions about Metallic silhouette shooting field pistol division

Post by mg357 »

Hello i am thinking about competing in the Metallic silhouette shooting more specially the field pistol division.

But I have several questions about competing in the field pistol division.

i own three Ruger revolvers and all 3 of them are chambered in .357 magnum and they are the following models

Ruger GP100 stainless steel with a 4 inch barrel

Ruger sp101 stainless steel with a 3 inch barrel

Ruger sp101 stainless steel with a 2.25 inch barrel

Can i compete with any of the revolvers on this list?

I am a wheelchair bound individual can I compete sitting in my wheelchair?

Can I use factory Ammunition?

How long do the matches take place? Do they take place over a period of several days or just one day.

Is there any sort of designated break Time during the matches? So a participant or participants can eat or drink some fluids and use the bathroom.

I know that the targets are silhouettes of
chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams

At what distances are these various targets set at In the field pistol division?
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: Questions about Metallic silhouette shooting field pistol division

Post by Jimologist »

You can compete with any and all of the pistols you list. You can use factory ammunition as long as it does not damage the targets. I would recommend you use factory .38 special cartridges in your pistols. .38 special has plenty of power to knock down any field pistol target.

IHMSA has a PC exemption ( physically challenged) and you would be allowed to shoot a standing category while seated in your wheelchair.

Local matches are typically one day affairs and Field pistol had two categories; Production which is iron sight and Production Any Sight which is scoped or red dot. You are allowed to shoot PAS with an iron sighted gun as well.

Targets are10 chickens at 25 yds, 10 pigs at 50 yds, 10 turkeys at 75 yds and 10 rams at 100 yds. Animals are arranged in banks of 5 animals.

Course of fire is one shot at each animal in the following manner.; 30 seconds to load, then 2 minutes to fire 5 shots, one at each target in the bank of 5 , shooting left to right.

There will be approx. a 45 second to one minute pause, then the cycle will-repeat for the next 5 animals. Once you receive the cease fire you safe and ground your firearm.

Then everybody moves to the next set of animals. If you just completed chickens, you will move to pigs at 50 yds and repeat the 2 1/2 minute cycle for the first 5 pigs. Pause then repeat the 2 1/2 minute cycle for the 2nd set of 5 pigs.
Move , repeat for turkeys repeat for rams.

The amount of time between the banks of animals depend on the range. Some ranges have 5 animals and must reset every 5 shots. Some ranges have 10 animals of each type and reset after every 10. Some ranges have free standing targets and have to manually reset them, some ranges have auto reset targets or rope pull targets on hinges.

A match consists of one entry or multiple entries. You might fire a single production entry or both prod. And PAS. You are allowed to re-enter as well.

A single entry which is 40 shots takes 30-45 minutes depending on how long it takes to reset the targets.

At the top of this page is a “main page” listing. Click on that and it takes you to IHMSA home page. Click on rules and read the rule book. It is much more detailed than what I have broadly described here. It will tell you how big the animals are in each discipline and specifics on the firearms allowed in each category. All of your Rugers qualify as production guns in field pistol.

Thank you for your interest in IHMSA silhouettes and the best of luck in your quest.

Jim Kesser