What kind of power is too much power for FP targets?

United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: What kind of power is too much power for FP targets?

Post by Jimologist »

I have a couple of observations;
I am a match director and I have pulled a shooter that was damaging targets. Full blown loads as shown in the reloading manuals will damage older softer targets and should not be used or allowed. The shooter I pulled had a load that was going 2400 FPS. Because he didn’t want to adjust his sights.

I shoot a lot of standing and the reason I use the hornet in field pistol is not because of sight settings, it’s because of recoil. Of all the cartridges that are legal for FP, hornet has the mildest recoil. Mild recoil equates to the ability to stay on the sights and stay on the target.

I do not mind adjusting my sights when needed.I shoot a whisper in BB that is only going 1080 fps and I take 20 to 24 clicks between animals.

Most of the people who shoot IHMSA FP are using loads that are not in the reloading manuals. We are shooting a heavier bullet typically 55-62 grains and it is going 1600-1800fps. That is plenty fast enough to take properly set rams. And it will not damage them.

My load that I have used for years in both FP disciplines is 9.0 grains IMR4227 with any 55 grain bullet. I typically used flat based soft points for the greatest stability with the twist. Varmint grenades work well. I rarely ring a target.

Slower and heavier in every single gun will always get you more targets as far as standing goes.

Thanks for giving silhouettes a try. It’s a great sport with some great people. You will come in contact with some of the best long range pistol shots in the world. They will give you the best free advice you will find anywhere. They are always willing to help you and will loan you a gun with ammo, spot for you, and congratulate you when you beat them with their own gun. No other shooting sport can claim that.
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I use a 25-20 for PHSC. I don't have a chronograph but I estimate it's pushing my 75 grain bullet at about 1600fps. It's about 12 or so clicks from chickens to rams.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

After many years of running a 30 Carbine for FP, I went to 22 Hornet. My loads were too hot for the steel at my range. I would suggest you talk with the match director(s) for the ranges you shoot at and find out what they allow. Not all targets are created equal, and while the organization added the Hornet to allowable cartridges, a lot of clubs had steel that was intended for slow, fat bullets.

Power isn't much of a factor. My 30 Carbine load would not take a BB pig reliably.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000