What kind of power is too much power for FP targets?

United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

What kind of power is too much power for FP targets?

Post by forest341 »

Can the targets withstand the power of what a 357 Magnum can dish out when using powders that many manuals say that works the best?
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: What kind of power is too much power for FP targets?

Post by high standard 40 »

The question could be asked, how much power can the targets take, or a more reasonable question would be, how much power is require to provide dependable knock-down. I have used a 22 Hornet with light loaded 55 grain bullets with 100% reliability. I have also been trying my Dan Wesson 357 Mag revolver using cast 140 gr bullets with a light charge of Unique, which has also been 100% reliable. I see no need to use top loads when I can achieve excellent accuracy at lower levels and still get the job done. Lower recoil levels are easier for me to shoot with consistent accuracy. In all fairness I have not tried the loads on auto reset targets, only free standing. We had another shooter at our matches some time ago using a Contender 38 Special with cast 125 gr bullets and a light charge of powder and he had no issues with lost targets either. You just don't need top loads to be successful. No need to stress the targets either.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
forest341
Spotter

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

I can't speak for the gentleman shooting the 38 Special in a Contender. But my 357 revolver only needs 7 clicks total elevation from chickens through rams. 100 meters is not all that far when it comes to trajectory. My 22 Hornet only needs 2 clicks on a Bomar for rams. Chickens through turkeys all use the same sight settings. As far as forgetting to adjust before starting or during a match, a disciplined shooters usually does this without issues. Not saying mistakes can't happen with sight settings. I have made that mistake myself. Don't over think the trajectory issue. Lighter than max loads get the job done, use less components, and are easier on the gun, the shooter, the targets, and the brass.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
forest341
Spotter

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
forest341
Spotter

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

Our ranges have had some targets lose welded on feet and one chicken that lost it's head due to a "fatigue" crack, but I can't recall any that failed due to a single shot. They've held up to everything from .22 Hornet to lots of .44 Magnums. (Of varying loads from soft lead to hefty factory fodder.)
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

To answer your question - yes, we have pulled a shooter from the line because of target damage ! He was shooting factory-level 40 grain loads in a 22 Hornet. Also, please take into consideration that other damage can occur to targets besides cratering - stress cracks, broken welds, etc. Be considerate of the person that has to maintain the targets - he probably is already overworked ! It seems from casual observation that you are more interested in seeing how hard you can hit the targets than merely knocking them down. If I am wrong about this assumption I apologize !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
forest341
Spotter

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Considering accuracy - I have a MGM 14" 22 Hornet barrel 1-12" twist, and this barrel is EASILY the most accurate Contender barrel I have ever owned. I am shooting 55 grain bullets, with a moderate charge of AA# 9, with velocity barely reaching 1700 FPS. It is still shoots flat enough to be able to shoot point of aim from 25 - 100 yards. Saying that - there are MANY cartridges that can serve you well in FP and PH-SC. My recommendations to anyone wanting to try this discipline is to shoot what you have first - settle on whatever optic or open-sights you intend to use, and adjust accordingly. Another consideration is the position you will be shooting from. If you decide to shoot prone with a rifle scope you will need a low-recoil round. This is where the 22 Hornet excels. The point that we are trying to make is this - more velocity usually means more recoil. And usually, neither are necessary to be successful in this game. Good luck !
PS: I have a custom-barreled Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag that I am going to play with in PH-SC. The load I am using is 6 grains of Unique pushing a Nosler 158 JHP out of a magnum case. Even with this light load I can shoot the entire course without a scope adjustment - although I have to aim 1/2 leg of the chicken, belly line on the pigs, POA - POI on the turkeys, and a couple of inches over the back on rams
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA