Field Pistol Observations

User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Field Pistol Observations

Post by 19 Turkeys »

We have been running a side match here at JCSA in Grants Pass, OR in Field Pistol for several years. We call it "Standard Handgun". Basically, it is any handgun (revolver or semi-automatic) with a barrel no longer than 6.5" & iron sights. No sight adjustments are allowed to try to equalize fixed sight 1911's with other handguns. The original object of this side match was to see if we could recruit new shooters. I can report that it has not, but our regular shooters enjoy giving it a try from time to time. We award a plaque at the end of the year to the high score.

While the year is not over, I took a look at the year to date statistics. Again, Dave Whitman is the leader. He has fired 6 entries year to date with his S&W 686. His high score was 25 and low was 20. His average score is 23.

Looking at these statistics, I believe it is reasonable to conclude that a shooter can fire satisfactory scores in FP-P with an out of the box revolver or semi-automatic.

Another interesting factoid is that Dave & Larry Hixson had a side match they called the "Shorty Forty", 3 inch .45 caliber semi-automatics. Larry fired a 16 and Dave an 18. Again, very respectable scores for a short barreled handguns.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.