Loads for 25-20 WCF

User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Loads for 25-20 WCF

Post by contender1121 »

I've always been one to go against the grain, so to speak. Instead of jumping on the Hornet bandwagon for Field Pistol and Practical Hunter I want to try the venerable 25-20 WCF. I have a brand new MGM TC barrel and I'm looking for advice on loads if anyone out there has been down this road. Yes, brass is scarce but I've already made up a batch from 32-20 cases. I have some Hornady V Max 75 grain bullets and some Speer 87 grain Hot Core bullets on the way. Any opinions on which would be preferable? Should I go heavier? I'll be using a rifle scope for both standing and flop so low recoil will be the name of the game.
Any input is appreciated.
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Loads for 25-20 WCF

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Humble opinion, a much better choice than the hornet. Hornady 75 grain bullet, 6.0 grains VV N-340, Rem 7 1/2 primer 1574 FPS at 40 degrees F. Hornady 87 grain bullet, 5.5 grains VV N-340, same primer. 1387 FPS at 40 degrees F.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I have pulled the switch and bought a 15 inch barrel myself. I intend to use mine the same way. Any other loads out there? Especially 60 grain bullets. Will these loads take half size turkeys and rams?
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
contender1121
Class C

Post by contender1121 »

35isit wrote:I have pulled the switch and bought a 15 inch barrel myself. I intend to use mine the same way. Any other loads out there? Especially 60 grain bullets. Will these loads take half size turkeys and rams?
I now have two matches under my belt with my 25-20 using 7 grains of 4227 and 87 grain Speer "Hot Core" pills. Brass is 32-20 Starline that I reformed. Recoil is mild and I am very happy with the results. No "ringers".
I started with this because I had the powder. I do intend to test the VVN-340 before the next season starts.
I am neck sizing only after fire-forming and using a Lyman M die in the final step, set to provide a tiny flare in the mouth to aid in starting the bullet. I've not yet needed to trim the length. I have a trim die if that becomes necessary. Resizing and seating with RCBS dies.
Care is required, especially in re-sizing from 32-20 as the brass is quite thin. Anneal and use Imperial sizing wax sparingly.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I have found several loads. Ranging from 5744 to Unique among a host of others. My intention is to use a powder I have to start with. Going to try 75 grain bullets first and maybe a few 86 grainers. I don't expect to have problems with field pistol targets. Kinda wonder if these loads will take half scale targets. Probably won't shoot half scale once or twice a year.

Big question is. How to set up sizer die. From my very little research it seems everyone neck sizes. How far down the neck do you go or recommend? Brass for these things are hard to come by. Don't want to mess it up on the first sizing. All help appreciated.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
contender1121
Class C

Post by contender1121 »

I neck size a little past where the bottom of the bullet will wind up when seated. In my case, with the 87 grain Speer Hot Core bullets, about 1/4" from the mouth is adequate. That's roughly 3/4 of the way to where the shoulder flare starts. My seating depth brings the bullet into light contact with the grooves. I back the die off so that I am not doing any crimping.
I've not tried the 200-yard course so I cannot speak with any authority. Logic would dictate the heavier bullet with perhaps a little hotter load.