New shooter advice

United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

New shooter advice

Post by Nuclearmike »

Hi everyone. Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not, moderators please move accordingly. I recently joined an outdoor range here in central Ohio and I noticed they have IHMSA matches on a monthly basis. The matches are of the 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard variety. So, my question is this. I have a S&W 27-2 in 357 mag, of course. It has a 6.5" barrel and I thought that might be a good revolver to take to my first match. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Mike
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Re: New shooter advice

Post by Proclaim »

The 357 you have would be an excellent choice to try for Field Pistol matches. I encourage you to go out to a match, meet some of the people, and give it a go!
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

I've had good results with Magtech 158gr jacketed soft point and HP ammo for inexpensive factory ammo. If you load your own, full powered ammo isn't needed for toppling Field Pistol targets. But it does need to be accurate! .38 Special loads will work just as well, you just have to crank the rear sight screw a little more as you get further out.

If you can keep all of your shots at 25 yards in a 3" circle, then Chickens will fear you no end as that's roughly the size of the center of mass. But I will happily accept head, tail, or foot/legs hits all day. (The practical side is that you can use the 3" Shoot-n-See stick-on bullseye targets for 25 yd work. Maybe add an ersatz leg.)

Don't expect too much at first! Even if you have a great load, it takes a while to dial in sight settings, decide on the aiming area that works best for you at that particular range (depending on the contrast of the sights, targets and backstop), and get used to the rhythm of the match.

A good shot spotter and a method of keeping records with be a huge help.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

Here's a link to a thread with some of us revolver nuts at the local Field Pistol match:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wess ... le-ga.html

Older thread heavily impacted by the P'Bucket fiasco, but a good photo of a short barreled revolver with opics in Post #8:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wess ... eturn.html

And we have shot "bordello class" a few times, 4" max barrel length revolver, no sight changes after sighters. I managed a high of 15 of 40 on Field Pistol targets with a 4" .38Spl. Model 67. Our local "Superman" shot the course with a 1 7/8" barreled DA only S&W .38 or .357 Centennial type revolver and made at least one hit at each distance, including 2 Turkeys at 75 yards!

So a 6 1/2" barreled N frame should be fine....
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

Hey, thanks everybody. I thought I was on the right track. I've always had a soft spot for wheel guns. It should be fun.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Nuclearmike, Please look up the LHA flyer in the Ohio state section. We offer Field Pistol matches too. We are located in Logan County. Our range is about 1 1/2 miles north of Bellefontaine on US 68. We were supposed to have our first match of the year tomorrow but have cancelled due to incoming bad weather. We would love to have you shoot at our matches. Your S&W is a perfect fit for FP matches. Max loads are not needed so just find a nice comfortable load that is accurate to 100 yards and come and have fun. Please feel free to email me if you have any additional questions. Lynn Shultz shultza@watchtv.net
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

Hey, thanks everybody. I haven't shot that 27-2 in quite a while. It's really too nice to let sit in the safe. This is a good opportunity to let that old girl get some fresh air and sunshine.

I'm down in Chillicothe. Bellefontaine could be doable.
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Hi Mike ,

If it's central Ohio and IHMSA I assume you are referring to PIckaway Sportsmen Club in Circleville.

My name is Jim Kesser and I am the match director of that match. Our first match is April 14 and we start about 10:00. We shoot the second Saturday of every month from April thru Oct. Bring your S&W and look me up. We are on the first two ranges that you will come to and they are number 7,8.

Your revolver will be fine for field pistol and you don't need powerhouse loads. Light .38 special target loads would be perfect. That is exactly what I started shooting field pistol with.

We will walk you through the course of fire and you will have a blast, literally!

Some one will loan you a gun and ammo so you can shoot the small bore side as well.

Thanks for looking at silhouettes and hope we see you there.

Hope we
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

Did he show? If he did, did he have a good time? Is he going to TUSCO or Bellefountain in the future? Wish I could spell!
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

Yes. I showed. I shot the April and May match at PCSI. It was great fun. I think a BB match is in my future. I never thought I would be looking on GunBroker for single shot pistols......