Anyone use the 45win mag?

Silent -Stalker
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Anyone use the 45win mag?

Post by Silent -Stalker »

Newbie here interested in joining ihmsa and trying my luck at silhouette shooting. The only handgun I have is a t/c with pistol barrels in 45win mag (s14) and a 375win hunter. Any advice would be appreciated on where to start. Thank you
Bettac
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: Anyone use the 45win mag?

Post by jmoore »

I have a .45 WM pistol, but it's a LAR Grizzly. And never much thought about it for BB use! In a TC it ought to be able to work up accurate enough loads, but I have a feeling good loads will be fatiguing to use due to the recoil. But it surely would do until you find another barrel! (Think 7 TCU or .300 Blackout, the latter particularly if you want easy to find ammo and components.)
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Anyone use the 45win mag?

Post by high standard 40 »

Jmoore gave you some sound advice. I would strongly encourage you to try the 45WM to get you started. One way to go would be to try to develop a light load and start at a range that offers Practical Hunter Short Course. These are half scale targets which are shot from 25-100 yards or meters. Once you get your feet wet you could step up to the full size targets with appropriate loads. At any rate, please join us and have some fun.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer