Target Damage

United States of America
bkraft
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 57644

Target Damage

Post by bkraft »

Is a 55 gr. FMJ out of a 10" Contender Hornet barrel apt to cause target damage. My usual load is 4.5 gr Unique, 55 gr. cast bullet with a small pistol primer. Would switching to the FMJ beat the targets up?
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Re: Target Damage

Post by jcunclejoe »

Velocity is the key. You want enough for consistent knockdown but not too much or you'll damage the targets.
I've run a hornet pretty hot with 50gr bullets and never seen much damage. 55's at anything less than hot should be just fine.
Good luck. Shoot well.

Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

I use 55gr FMJ bullets pushed by 10gr of IMR4227 which gives me around 2000fps, I get no target damage.
Hope this helps.
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I think target damage does not occur much today with the use of modern targets. The target damage rule meant a lot in the early days when softer steels were in use for targets. Many targets today will get small dimples even with the better steel but I wouldn't call that damage. You might run into some clubs still using early targets so those MDs may have different ruling on target damage. I have heard of Hornet loads damaging targets but have never seen it personally. Targets at our local range have withstood high velocity rifle loads with just minimal dimples. I think you will probably run into accuracy issues with the Hornet way before you reach velocities that would cause any damage to targets. After all you have to hit them first!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
bkraft
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 57644

Post by bkraft »

Thanks guys, that,s just what I was lookin for!
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

It really depends on the targets. One thing to consider is this - you do not need a full-house load ! I use 55 grain Hornady SP, and 7.0 grains of Accurate 9. This is a light load and I have NEVER rang a target, and even with this low velocity I can shoot the entire course with no sight adjustments.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
TLee
Target Setter

Post by TLee »

In my experience, the term "target damage" is subjective, particularly with anything but smallbore targets (IMO, any damage at all to smallbore targets is unacceptable).

Having said that, a 22Hornet with a 55gr FMJBT running 2000FPS WILL leave a "noticeable hickie" on MILD steel pistol cartridge targets, especially the pig and turkey... Not quite as bad on the ram though, and not nearly as deep on AR plate, regardless of the target. I did see slightly less of a "hickie" when I tried dropping the FMJBTs down to about 1750/1800fps.... and still took every target down "with authority".

FWIW, I've switched exclusively to 50 and 55gr SPs running about 1800fps, and I've found they're MUCH more accurate than the 55g FMJBTs ever were. "Target damage", even on mild steel targets with them is what I'd classify as minimal.... Yeah, it still leaves a minor indentation, but nothing near what I'd classify as damage. Another bonus of shooting the 50gr at the lower velocity in Field Pistol/Hunter Pistol, is with the lower recoil I now hardly ever scratch or damage my right eye shooting glasses lens when shooting the peep sight gun.

my .02,

-Tim
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

bkraft wrote:Is a 55 gr. FMJ out of a 10" Contender Hornet barrel apt to cause target damage. My usual load is 4.5 gr Unique, 55 gr. cast bullet with a small pistol primer. Would switching to the FMJ beat the targets up?
Switching from cast to FMJ won't cause any additional target damage. As mentioned, velocity is the culprit when it comes to target damage. Also as mentioned, about 1800fps is the threshold of velocity with mild steel targets. Target damage is subjective and since I build and maintain all of our targets, I don't like to see any damage. I have also discovered with my two Hornet barrels that accuracy with the military style 55 gr FMJ bullets was never as good as with a traditional design. I have had very good success with 55 gr JSP and 52 gr JHP. I have also done well with cast 55 gr if the bullet is properly fitted to the chamber. Try some 231 powder if you can find it or the load braud357 mentioned. That AA9 load has given me sub moa groups at 100 yards.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

I shoot full load 221 FB (17.8g 4227) with 50-55g HP or SP. Range officer was VERY concerned, however targets in Phila show no damage. I am a happy shooter.
Pat
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
TLee
Target Setter

Post by TLee »

bkraft wrote:Is a 55 gr. FMJ out of a 10" Contender Hornet barrel apt to cause target damage. My usual load is 4.5 gr Unique, 55 gr. cast bullet with a small pistol primer. Would switching to the FMJ beat the targets up?
I recently duplicated your load and tried it out of my 10" T/C, only using a jacketed 55gr SP instead of lead or FMJ projectiles. I'm happy to say I got about a 1-1/4" group at 100meters at 1485FPS average measured about 10' out from the muzzle. Definitely NOT gonna damage a steel target at that velocity... I usually drive the same bullet between 1750 and 1800fps and see minimal marks on my targets.

- Tim