Rear Sight Height Checker

United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Rear Sight Height Checker

Post by jmoore »

Measuring the sight settings on S&W revolvers has always been a pain for me, so started to cobble up this business out of a bit of plastic block and an old depth micrometer:

Hope to try it out soon. Weather hasn't been cooperating lately! Rain, wind or both every time a range opportunity has come along lately. Not worried about wind deflection on bullets, more on the shooter.
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Re: Rear Sight Height Checker

Post by borregos »

Good idea, I struggled at the weekend trying to figure out the rear sight on my T/C 7mmTCU (T/C silhouette type) but you have given me an idea now :)
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Great idea. I think you may be surprised when you check the variance between clicks. Some screws have stamped indentations that are of unequal length. Some sight screws have notches on the edges and tend to be more accurate since the up/down is then controlled by the pitch of the threads and not the notches. Another suggestion would be to mount a dial indicator on the block to rest against the sight blade. If you have a hole in your block you could then use a screwdriver to move the sight while watching the dial indicator. You may have come up with a good tool.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Was pondering the possibility of an adjusting hole earlier with a friend. Could burn a hole through the depth gage base, but I think it'll be an option left for the Mk2 version. First need to find out how useful at the range and or match it's going to be. Given that it'll be a new revolver, new ammo, and the new tool all at the same time, I reckon things will be messy for a bit!

BTW, it will be interesting to see how much elevation is changed with corrections to windage. S&Ws seem particularly prone to "wobbly" adjustment screws.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Some quick photos of the Mk. I* version. Added a sliding screwdriver guide for "on the gun" adjustments. Hence the offset plate on the indicator stem.:

Seems to repeat well as far as removing and replacing the unit.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Necessity begets Invention. also; Being satisfied with the present never advanced any cause. Good for you Jonathan. RP
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Looks like you could get very accurate readings with that setup. Let us know what variances you get between clicks. That might be of some help to other S&W shooters. I always wondered if adjustments are the same when the sight is just moving off bottom versus say 10 or 12 clicks off bottom. I'm sure you will probably figure out a way to adapt that setup to other iron sighted guns. Good job.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Thanks for the support, y'all!
260 Striker wrote:Looks like you could get very accurate readings with that setup. Let us know what variances you get between clicks. That might be of some help to other S&W shooters. I always wondered if adjustments are the same when the sight is just moving off bottom versus say 10 or 12 clicks off bottom. I'm sure you will probably figure out a way to adapt that setup to other iron sighted guns. Good job.
One "fun" thing about S&W revolver sights is they also have a tendency to change elevation slightly with windage changes. Often the windage screw will either be bent or just not be concentric to it's axis of rotation. Won't matter much to those shooting 25yds or closer, but can be a big bother further out! Never mind the occasional blade cant induced by turning the W screw...

Was going to range test it today, but 18 degree weather makes for lousy testing conditions, a least for me.

Thinking o-ring retention for the elevation screw gizzy will work. Had thought a single ring internal, but there may be room to do a top and bottom ring. The bottom being the question at this point. Allowing a bit of play will make using the unit a bit easier. Less need for perfect fore-aft alignment on various revolvers. Also easily upgraded if it doesn't work out as expected...Have only tried this on the one revolver so far.