357 loads for Field Pistol

lovin AZ
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 55448

Re: 357 loads for Field Pistol

Post by lovin AZ »

Hello again. I'm back to a .357 (S&W 4" model 19) but like so many of us, have just a small amount of components because of the hoarders. VERY few small pistol primers and no jacketed bullets of any weight. So, I'm hoping you can suggest a powder with load amt for loads under the sound barrier that would work with lead 158 gr bullets for field pistol in .357 brass only (again because of the hoarders) and virtually no load bracketing. Any ideas?
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by Polaris »

I have had good luck with a .38 ++P load using HP-38 or HS-6, .38 RP brass and a Penn 158 TC hard cast (.357 warm rated). I was loading slightly above Lyman +P data. I should think the same load would work well with a jacketed bullet. Take precautions to prevent any chance of mixing with .38 spl only loads. As you'll be using .357 brass, this won't be an issue.

I was shooting mine in a Taurus M66. When I held the gun properly, it hit 100m rams and knocked them over reliably. The bullet is staying stable at 100m and further as confirmed by my scoped Henry single shot rifle. With A LOT of kentucky windage and elevation it will ding steel to 300 yard gong reliably at our local range.
United States of America
Chuck40
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 22655

Post by Chuck40 »

I started using Titegroup because I couldn't fine AA 7 that I had been using. I had an eight pound keg of Titegroup from when I started shooting at lot of .38 Special and .45 ACP.

Lo and behold - I did what an earlier poster did and started using some 125 gr. Hornadys, then switched to 158 gr XTPs. I shot 6.0 grs of Titegroup and it shot great in a 10" TC.
I tried it for big bore...and it worked! Light on rams and the occasional pig.
Since I have about 1500 180 grain Hornadys and Noslers, I went to 6.0 grs Titegroup and the 180s. Light recoil, and worked great for FP. I haven't tried big bore with it yet, but I'm hoping that the 180s will have just enough ooomph to be reliable.