FP calibers

JSH
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 52929

FP calibers

Post by JSH »

Just because there is nothing here as yet, thought I had a few minutes and would throw somthing out there for those that have an interest when doing a search. The following is just my humble opinion.
The 22 Hornet has a large if not a huge following in the FP area. Yes it does work well, but I find it to not do what I want. I look at a more universal case that can be used in a wider area, including BB when and if the oportunity would allow. The 30-20, aka 32-20 fits the bill very well. The 32 mag and 357 mag also fit into this area. There is a large offering of projectiles in various shapes and sizes, jacketed and cast.
I have worked up several "soft" loads in the 30-20 and the 357 mag using cast and jacketed bullets. A good "soft" load that takes the FP targets will usually take BB C and P targets, though the center of gravity is low enough on BB pigs the may fall forward on hand set targets. I did a little fiddling with my P and PAS guns in 30-20 that the load will work on BB C and P targets with no problem if I so desire or need to use them.
I have only fooled with the 357 mag a small bit for a FP gun but have found a couple of soft loads combined with light weight bullets that shot exceptionally well both cast and jacketed.
I don't mean to exclude the 25-20 here as it has it's followers as well. I never found a bullet and powder combo that would allow me to shoot it on the BB targets with enough momentum to take BB targets. Oh, yes I did find a jacketed bullet that worked, but was cost prohibitive for my shooting budget.
I don't include any load data here as every ones milage may vary. Data for heavy bullets in the 32 mag and 30-20 may be difficult to find. I certain though that there is plenty of "safe" unpublished data here for tha asking.
jeff
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: FP calibers

Post by 35isit »

I too like dual use field pistol/bigbore loads. I use a .357 magnum for field pistol. My load consists of 5.5 grains of Unique and either a CCI or Winchester small pistol magnum primer with a 195 grain cast bullet. My mold drops either a RCBS or LBT bullet from wheel weights at this weight. THIS IS A PUBLISHED LOAD WORK UP PROPERLY IN YOUR GUN IT IS SAFE IN MINE. The trajectory is suspect after 100 yards/meters but will take most bigbore rams. I do use it in bigbore to shoot US about 2 times a year. I don't remember ringing any of the few rams I hit with it.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
bj7mm
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by bj7mm »

Back when I was shooting Field Pistol (actually NRA Hunter Pistol) I looked at it as directly related to hunting, and when I thought about handgun hunting I thought about hunting deer and antelope. (At the time I was reading a lot of articles in the magazines of the time about Thompson Contenders in .30 Herrett and .357 Herrett.) I decided that what I needed was a 10" Contender barrel in .357 mag but I couldn't find one so I bought a .44mag barrel instead. I found that I had to shoot fairly hot loads in it for accuracy, so that's what I did. Certainly you wouldn't shoot the taco hold with this one.

I watched as the sport evolved from big calibers to tiny calibers. They would knock the targets down but for hunting they would be only good for squirrels. .32-20 became popular, and since then I've wondered if the newer .32mag wouldn't be even better.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Either the 32-20 (30-20) or its updated cousin the 30 Carbine make good dual use cartridges. Many of the ''heavy'' bullet (150 to 200gr) loads dont have a lot of published data. Data for jacketed bullets can be had from individuals. Cast bullet loads work well, too. A while back the late Ed Bulick authored an article entitled ''The little .30s''. It covered the .32-20, .30Carbine, and .32H&R. It was published in the IHMSA news and the ''Fouling Shot'' of the Cast Bullet Assn. In cast bullets one of the better choices is the RCBS 165Sil. Its short body and long nose allow for enough case capacity.
The 32-20 cases are thin. The .30Carbine cases handle higher pressures better.
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

I neglected to mention previously that ''heavier'' bullets in the little 30s are predicated on using 1 in 10 twist barrels. Once Ed bought a barrel marked 32-20. At 50yds it proceeded to profile print the 180 sil bullet. Mine shot them fine. In frustration Ed held the barrels up to look down the bore and it became clear that his had been made with a 1 in 20 twist. It was returned to T/C.
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
Smokin7mm
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 49266

Post by Smokin7mm »

Richard Pickering wrote:I neglected to mention previously that ''heavier'' bullets in the little 30s are predicated on using 1 in 10 twist barrels. Once Ed bought a barrel marked 32-20. At 50yds it proceeded to profile print the 180 sil bullet. Mine shot them fine. In frustration Ed held the barrels up to look down the bore and it became clear that his had been made with a 1 in 20 twist. It was returned to T/C.
I came across the same thing. I already had a 32-20 TC barrel for FP and wanted to try it for BB. Everything heavy keyholed. I gave up. Then one day at a match a guy was shooting BB with a 32-20. I asked his load and asked to look at his barrel. The twist was obviously faster and one was LH the other was RH twist though I cant remember which was which. I then purchased another 32-20 barrel (later manufacture) with the 1-10" twist and it shoots bullets up to 200gr just fine.
Bret
Match Director Paul Bunyan Rifle Club Puyallup Wa
Washington State Director
NRA member