44 Special loads for FP

lovin AZ
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 55448

44 Special loads for FP

Post by lovin AZ »

I've recently moved permanently to AZ from MN. I know FP is a downloaders game and that the Hornet dominates but for me the revolver is what "works". I've used Hamilton Bowen's accurate, repeatable drop-in rear sights for the regular Rugers for years for silhouette and deer (9 bucks). He doesn't make a rear sight for the new flat top 44 special Rugers but does for older Smiths. FA doesn't offer their repeatable rear sight for the 97 so the older Smiths are it--I have 624s in 4' and 6 1/2". I don't need energy (Ben Avery's FP/HP and SB targets are the same thickness) but do need to hold about 3" from the bench so that my "wobble" has a chance of a hit--at 72 I'm no longer Dead Eye Dick... Any suggested loadings for the 44 Special that will hold a 3" group at 100 meters (every load seem to work up to 50 yards but not beyond)? Thanks.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: 44 Special loads for FP

Post by jmoore »

Used to shoot lead bullets, both cast and swaged, at moderate velocities out of a 6" S&W 29. Fought a leading problem for quite a while, but finally discovered that the root of the problem was that the brass was only expanded to an ID of 0.426" at best during the reloading process. So the bullets were being sized well under groove diameter for a good portion of their length. Trail Boss seemed to help with the gas cutting, but it still leaded the bore bad enough to make good results on turkeys and rams very difficult indeed!

Can't imagine you'd want to shoot jacketed bullets, so maybe this will help some.

As for powders, I'd start with the usual suspects: Unique, WW321, etc.

Just getting back in the game, but hopefully will have some results to post before long.

(Old thread, but given the level of activity on this forum, why not get it going again?)
Gleedaniel13
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: 44 Special loads for FP

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

So the bullets were being sized well under groove diameter for a good portion of their length. Trail Boss seemed to help with the gas cutting, but it still leaded the bore bad enough to make good results on turkeys and rams very difficult indeed!

Can't imagine you'd want to shoot jacketed bullets, so maybe this will help some.

As for powders, I'd start with the usual suspects: Unique, WW321, etc.

Just getting back in the game, but hopefully will have some results to post before long.

(Old thread, but given the level of activity on this forum, why not get it going again?)
The bullets should really well fit for the barrel to have a good result in shooting. :)