.22 Hornet Brass recommendations

United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

.22 Hornet Brass recommendations

Post by 7br »

Mt brass is getting a little long in the tooth and I am looking to replace it. Any recommendations?
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Re: .22 Hornet Brass recommendations

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

I have not had good luck with Winchester as of recent. 10% split after first firing. I just purchased prvi partisan. It was recommended to me by another shooter. We shall see because it is being delivered Thursday.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Humble opinion, the .25-20 is the perfect FP chambering!

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

19 Turkeys wrote:Humble opinion, the .25-20 is the perfect FP chambering!

Steve W.
I'll second that! What's your favorite load?
I'm getting ready to try some 85gr polymer coated cast bullets for Missouri Bullet Co in front of VV N-340.
New brass is extremely hard to find but easy to make from 32-20. I reformed 200 cases this past Sunday. Definitely need to anneal. I use the 25-20 seater die to reduce the neck then full-length size to set the shoulder back. Once fireformed I neck size only as I'm only shooting my TC. The barrel is from MGM who did a first-rate job.

Apologies to 7br and shoot2thrill. I didn't mean to hijack your post.
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

contender1121 wrote:
19 Turkeys wrote:Humble opinion, the .25-20 is the perfect FP chambering!

Steve W.
I'll second that! What's your favorite load?
I'm getting ready to try some 85gr polymer coated cast bullets for Missouri Bullet Co in front of VV N-340.
New brass is extremely hard to find but easy to make from 32-20. I reformed 200 cases this past Sunday. Definitely need to anneal. I use the 25-20 seater die to reduce the neck then full-length size to set the shoulder back. Once fireformed I neck size only as I'm only shooting my TC. The barrel is from MGM who did a first-rate job.

Apologies to 7br and shoot2thrill. I didn't mean to hijack your post.
4227 which I'm out of. Noticed that N-110 was a recommended powder in the rifle section of VV. Also have N-340. Have tried 5.5 grains of 340 with the Hornady 87 grain bullet. Takes BB rams occasionally! :)

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by Polaris »

Can't speak to .22 Hornet, but have used PPU/PRVI brass for many years in metric military rifles. Some of these are hard to find, so I keep track of how long it lasts. Over 10 firings in 7,5x55 Swiss so far and still going strong without neck splits, full power rifle loads. Have always gotten top accuracy and good life from it. Good brass. The primers can be a little tight, I usually chamfer pockets on new brass with a military crimp remover. It tends to run heavy for caliber, compare to existing stocks and work loads appropriately. 6.5x50 was about 10% heavier than Norma.
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

Had no joy with Winchester, splits and head separation after just a few reloads.
Remington has given me no trouble at all, I just neck size and keep the brass separate for my two barrels.
Trouble is this thread now has me thinking of the 25-20 (thanks Steve) I have an old Marlin pump (circa 1909) that I really like but never thought of the 25-20 for FP, got lots of brass too! Hmmm......... :)
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

borregos wrote:Had no joy with Winchester, splits and head separation after just a few reloads.
Remington has given me no trouble at all, I just neck size and keep the brass separate for my two barrels.
Trouble is this thread now has me thinking of the 25-20 (thanks Steve) I have an old Marlin pump (circa 1909) that I really like but never thought of the 25-20 for FP, got lots of brass too! Hmmm......... :)
Try it, you'll like it.