Match reports on website and reason not to

Articles on all topics written by IHMSA members
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Match reports on website and reason not to

Post by 260 Striker »

In the current IHMSA News was a suggestion about posting match reports on the website. Me personally, I think that is a great idea and would give strangers coming to the IHMSA site a chance to see many club results and possibly spark a desire to shoot and/or join IHMSA. The one negative comment was some shooters are worried that people will know they have guns. DUH! I think the first requirement to shoot silhouettes is to have a gun. Second would be to have ammo I guess. Point is, if you don't want people to know you have guns, take up golf. We need to expand our interest in IHMSA. Some clubs have their own websites with match results and I don't hear about their members getting their guns ripped off. We are a computer age and should have some means of posting/uploading match results to our website. Just a though.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Match reports on website and reason not to

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Mike,

I have posted 46 of them! It appears that there are few views but I keep posting them!

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

19 Turkeys wrote:Mike,

I have posted 46 of them! It appears that there are few views but I keep posting them!

Steve W.
I view every one of your match reports. I don't reply because I have no reason to living in TN. One thing I will say is, the reason I do read them is because they are very well written and I enjoy seeing what others are doing around the country. Don't stop writing them :)
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Thanks David. I don't look at replies, but I do look at views. I really don't expect replies.

I have some "in concrete" rules about writing match reports. They are (1) Do not talk about the weather. The report is published in the paper 2 months after the match & no one gives a rat's a** what the weather was. (2) Find the heart of the match. It might be 2 B class shooters that are always trying to beat each other. It doesn't have to be a winner. (3) Acknowledge personal best achievements. Let it be known when someone gets a leg. (4) Always acknowledge women and kids.

Being an English major, I like to write.

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

Kitsap
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 45731

Post by Kitsap »

19 Turkeys wrote:Mike,

Steve W.
Steve,

I too read every one of your reports. They are well written and you hold true to your rules. I wish more of the clubs posted their match reports like you do. By the time a match report is published in the paper if it is published at all, it is only so much old history.

Thank you for taking the time.
Doug
19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Kitsap wrote:Thank you for taking the time.
Hey Doug!

& thanks for teaching me the URL code! :)

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

We shoot so bad in Lawrenceburg Ky all we have to report is the weather :D . I read every report that is posted. I also have encouraged all the Match Directors in Ky to post their reports here. I think every score should be reported. Bordello, 500 meter, rimfire rifle, cast bullet rifle or any other side match should be included. Who knows a lurker or someone who googles this site may find a range near them. They go see something they like and boom we have a new member. Besides Steve's and Craig's reports all the rest are from Region II.

On the subject of shooters not wanting their names used. Just post the first names and last initials of those persons.
Last edited by 35isit on Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Greg - Sometimes the weather isn't even good enough to write about!!! I've seen some of the KY reports and there is some good shooting going on in KY. You can't fool me!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
YoungBlut
Target Setter

Post by YoungBlut »

As for lurkers I am a bonafide example. I watched a rimfire shoot on youtube. I went to my lift off source, wikipedia, which has an abysmal section on silhouette dedicated to IHMSA. I then looked for a REAL source to see what this sport is all about. Now here we are. The more reports you have the better your exposure is. In the very least google will have more hits with the word IHMSA in it that folks can click on. perhaps you could post scores by IHMSA registered number no one will know who that belongs to but us and i dont think any of us care that we have guns. For non members, when they sign up you could give them a number to write down so they can check their scores later. Perhaps that will create a better layer of anonymity.
Curious
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 29677

Post by Curious »

The worries about posted scores were brought up maybe 10 15 years ago too! Best response to concerned indiviuals was go to Google, and ask them to remove your personal information. Address, Phone #, I did it 15-16 years ago to remove my personal info because my association to IHMSA. Lots of contact info iwas, and is still provided in the newspaper.

The worries were that using your name in a search could result in address information of a known person with handguns. Guess this hasn't changed, but I think you still can remove your info. And that's the biggest part.

Only comment I'd make is that not everyone is tech savvy, and may not get e-mail, or own computers. I know it seems hard to believe, but it still is part of the mailing issue. We in Minnesota have been sending out match results via e-mail for over ten years. Just have to endure those who are still not on the Internet.