New to the sport

Articles on all topics written by IHMSA members
xterrettx
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

New to the sport

Post by xterrettx »

Hi, I am new to IHMSA. So new if fact I will be attending my first match this sunday.
I currently own a super blackhawk 10.5" and will be shooting at said match.
I would love to hear any helpful advise and tips on technique, ammo choices and the sport in general.
Any thought are greatly appreciated.
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: New to the sport

Post by 19 Turkeys »

My best advice would be to show up early, introduce yourself, and start talking with people. I promise that people will be more than willing to get you started. If you are going to shoot your revolver from the Creedmoor position you will need the following in addition to ear & eye protection: blast shield to put between your leg & the revolver to protect you from the barrel/cylinder gap blast of burned powder, a shooting glove (I like weight lifting gloves with half fingers.), and an elbow pad. Again, I like Adams brand as they are made from high density foam and are not bulky but do a great job.

You could also go to YouTube and search on GunZorro and ATSN West Coast Championship. There are lots of IHMSA videos that are good for introducing you to the sport.

What club will be be shooting at?

Best of luck & most of all have fun! :)

Steve W.lki
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
xterrettx
Target Painter

Post by xterrettx »

I understood that some sort or shield was necessary for the creedmore, I just don't know where to find one. If you have any recommendations i would appreciate it.
As for this first match, I will probably try a flop position if allowed. I also planed on entering standing.

I'll be at the Tusco Rifle Club, Midvale, Ohio

Thanks
RockinHRacin
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55010

Post by RockinHRacin »

Welcome to the nut house!

Chris
God created Electronic Warfare Maintenance Technicians so pilots would have heroes too.
xterrettx
Target Painter

Post by xterrettx »

I shoot today for the first time and had a great time thanks to the guys at the Tusco range. I learned a lot and learned there was a lot to learn.
first score was 6 in field pistol with a ruger sp101 22lr
my second full match i shoot 13 from creedmore with a borrowed 22lr.

I am planning on making it next month, hopefully with a friend drug along with.

Once again thanks to the guys at the Tusco Range today, they really were a huge help!
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Nice thing about the Ruger SB (I have one and love it) is you can shoot every big bore category and both FP with it. Very versitile gun. May not be as competitive in the u-gun classes but I have seen some great shooting with revolvers. Don't just think it is only for Revolver category. Great cast bullet gun too if you get into lead bullets. Find all the matches you can travel to, talk to all the local shooters and ask questions. You will be swamped with answers, lots of advice, offers to use other guns and ammo. Greatest people you will ever meet. IHMSA shooters don't keep secrets since this sport does not shoot for loot or other prizes. If you need a spotter, ask at the local matches. Chances are you will find a person that will coach you into a score that will beat their score. Spotting for shooters is "almost" as much fun as shooting, but not quite!!!!! If you can team up with a friend to spot and shoot silhouettes, it is alot more fun that way. Welcome to IHMSA you won't regret it. Well maybe later you will after you get carried away and see all the other guns and stuff you just can't live without!!!!! Here is another case where I wish we could see the posters home state so we could invite him to our local matches.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885