IHMSA Quilt

Articles on all topics written by IHMSA members
therose7
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 15213

IHMSA Quilt

Post by therose7 »

I seem to have become the archivist of IHMSA memorabilia. With the help of numerous members I have accumulated all the participation pins from the Internationals and the World Championships. I also have collected participation patches from lots and lots of matches as well as t-shirts.

Most of you know that the Los Angeles range of the Los Angeles Silhouette Club (LASC) was badly damaged by a fire last year. Many folks chipped in and helped rebuild the club house and other parts of the facility. The wife of one of the members, Lee Edwards, wife of Dennis "Moose" Edwards, sewed a marvelous quilt made of LASC Extravaganza t-shirts. I bought this at auction to show support for the club since I am not able to attend work parties because I live almost 400 miles away, but I do shoot there two or three times a year.

When I got home with the quilt, I thought about it, and I realized sewing a quilt of all the t-shirts I have acquired from matches and gifts from other shooters would be a great way to show my respect for all the folks who have supported me in my collecting of IHMSA memorabilia.

It took a lot of time to sew this because t-shirt material is not easy to control on a sewing machine next to other types of material, but I did it. Then it occurred to me that I could sew the patches I have collected over the years in between the t-shirts. I did this, and the result is quite interesting.

As I look at this quilt, I realize that there are a lot of very talented people who created these t-shirts. First I think that Skye Ray, daughter of Pam and JR Ray, created some great designs that moved the LASC bad monkey to a whole new level of humor. Second Ted Robins who created the drawing of the Creedmore shooter flying every which way under recoil, created a masterpiece. Third Jim Fields who is trained as a professional designer created some wonderful t-shirts for the World Championships, and Fourth whoever drew the Coyote holding an Acme assault rifle over the dead Road Runner and saying "Beep Beep yer ass," is a genius.

At the top center of the quilt is a rectangular patch in the black border. This was given to me by the late Dave Whitman who got it at the second handgun silhouette match that ever took place. This was in Fort Bliss, Texas in 1976 before IHMSA actually was formed. The only earlier item which I know of but do not have is the dinner plate that, according to Elgin Gates' book, was handed out at the first championship match in 1975.

If anyone has anything in the way of IHMSA participation patches that date before 1985 or IHMSA belt buckles which date before 1990, and you would be willing to sell them to me, please get in touch <therose7@earthlink.net>. I already may have one of what you have, but if it is new, there is plenty of room left on the quilt.

Eric King 15213 Life
Attachments
ihmsa quiilt.jpg
wheelgun7360

Re: IHMSA Quilt

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Very cool!!
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: IHMSA Quilt