2023 IHMSA CHAMPIONSHIPS

United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

2023 IHMSA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by aggshooter »

I am very pleased to announce the 2023 IHMSA Championships will again be hosted by the Riley Conservation Club in Riley, Indiana.

Match dates are Friday July 7 thru Wed July 12. Our set-up day is Thursday July 6, practice and sighting in will be available after we're comfortable with the target arrays.

We're gonna address the morning shadows by moving the shooting times back. Relays will run 11am- 6pm. We're also moving the Field Pistol targets to the east along the woods and the.22 targets to the center berms.

More info to follow of course, but I wanted to get the dates out there so folks can make plans.

If you didn't make it here last time, I sincerely hope you plan on coming in 2023!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
captainjohn
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 39199

Re: 2023 IHMSA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by captainjohn »

Thank you Rich, and the entire board and crew for hosting again. Looking forward to shooting and see everyone again!
John Richards
IHMSA 39199L
Region 5 Director
IHMSA Industry Director
Minnesota State Director
NRA Life Member
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

I thought there was a rule that prohibits practice on a championship match range for a week prior to the match?
Am I wrong? Did I dream this?😊
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Hi Melvin,

The rule states

“ Once a range has been officially closed for preparation of a match, no practice will be allowed before or during any IHMSA sanctioned match other than the 5 sighter shots mentioned above”

The interpretation for the last 12 years is that the range isnt officially closed until dusk of the night before the match. There has been practice allowed the day before every International since 2010. At least the ones in Oklahoma. I was at the one in L.A. and the last one in Texas but cant say positively about them. I didnt get to either one till after the match had started, but I will attest that it has become standard accepted normal procedure.

Jim
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Thanks, Jim
I knew that OK allowed it, but was unaware of the “interpretation “ of the rule.
I’m not sure I agree with practice the day before the match, though.
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Just between you and me, its a waste of time anyway.

The lights always different and the shadows are different. Or its raining or the temperature is waaay different. I usually blame the sun is my eyes, unless of course its cloudy, then I blame the clouds. You might as well throw the dice.

Jim
United States of America
captainjohn
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 39199

Post by captainjohn »

Another “side” benefit is to our hosting match directors and local range workers as they often get extra help getting the range set up for the match,
Some shooters will arrive a day or two early to help with all the last minute range preparation that always exists.
I think it’s a win, win for both, if it helps your score is anyone’s guess, but hopefully you’ll feel good about pitching in to help make the match a success!
It’s open to anyone that wants to show up early and give a day’s labor getting ready, and if all the work is done we can open the range up for a couple hours and test the setup.
John Richards
IHMSA 39199L
Region 5 Director
IHMSA Industry Director
Minnesota State Director
NRA Life Member
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

The ban on practice only applies to those from states south of the Ohio river, and those who earned a 60 medal last year. That's a double whammy to you, Melvin!! :))

We learned a tough lesson at the 2021 ECC. It rained hard until about 2pm on setup day, and we didn't get to test the reset targets sufficiently. Then, Day 1 was spent tweaking all the ropes, lean of the targets, bungee cords, etc. Fortunately there was little attendance that day. It's a value to have real shooters fire at targets as opposed to me dumping 1,000 rounds down range "testing".

I am sooo looking forward to this year!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

I am very pleased to announce that RCC recently installed air conditioning in the clubhouse. In addition to our spacious firing line and staging area, shooters can now enjoy the comfort of a climate controlled clubhouse while eating lunch, taking a break between entries, or browsing the "For Sale" section of tables. I expect our banquet and business meetings will take place there as well.

Rich
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000