2022 IHMSA Championships

United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Re: 2022 IHMSA Championships

Post by i26963 »

Jimologist wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:13 pm I would opine that it would be impossible to determine from your description if your gun would pass inspection. You fail to mention what kind of sights, what the sight radius is. If its scoped, what is the length of the scope and the lowest power setting. You did not list the weight of the gun. The trigger could even be out side guidelines.

I would say no gun could be approved from what you described. Ive checked an awful lot of guns at a lot of matches. Until it is seen, measured and weighed, it is impossible to say a gun is legal.

I have weighed production, stock .22LR Freedom Arms pistols that weighed 4.01 lbs on the International certified scale. Those guns were not legal at 4.01 lbs and were not approved to shoot. The fix in those cases was the gun needed cleaned and then was reweighed.
My standing production gun weighed over 4.00 lbs at the Internationals at LASC. It had weighed under 4.00 at Oklahoma, Ft. Stockton, and Tusco. I was not pleased but a fore end change corrected the issue and i went on to shoot.

I saw a guy hacksawing a stock on an unlimited gun at Oakridge Tenn.

I would never say a gun is legal and within the rules until i had it in hands and could look at it.

Jim Kesser
Jim,
Regarding the “International certified scale”…..
Who certifies it? I know at the first OK Int., they had two scales in the stat house, neither weighed correctly. One weighed my BB UL gun at around 3.5 lbs. I think they stopped using it.
I say that to say this…regarding the factory FA22 weighing 4.01 lbs, then 4.0 after cleaning, is difficult to fathom. That’s 0.16 oz, and you and I both know how hard it is to remove even 0.1 oz. From a gun. Almost had to be a variation in the scale. Unless the scale is in a temperature controlled room, with absolutely no air movement, a scale can vary easily 0.1 to 0.2 oz.
If you don’t believe it, put your powder scale where a breeze hits it and weigh a powder charge, then weigh it without the breeze hitting it.
My BB standing gun weighs 3 lbs. 15.9 oz. On two different postal scales. So, it begs the question of how much do I trust the 2 scales here versus the scale that will be used. I have a friend in the PO here. I may see if he will weigh it for me. They calibrate their scales every morning. Anyway, just my thoughts!
Look forward to seeing you guys again!
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Melvin, you dog!
Im going to stick my thumb on the scale when you weigh that standing gun. :ymdevil:

I was using the term certified loosely. We had a set of laboratory check weights for the one at Tusco and we checked it everytime we turned it on.

Im with you, i know the one at LASC was off by a smidge.

Cant wait to shoot with you guys as well! I hope Robert keeps you out of trouble!

Jim
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Jimologist wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:31 pm Melvin, you dog!
Im going to stick my thumb on the scale when you weigh that standing gun. :ymdevil:

I was using the term certified loosely. We had a set of laboratory check weights for the one at Tusco and we checked it everytime we turned it on.

Im with you, i know the one at LASC was off by a smidge.

Cant wait to shoot with you guys as well! I hope Robert keeps you out of trouble!

Jim
Jim,
I’ll be watching you closely!😎 :)
Thanks for taking on the job of registration! We are looking forward to this trip!
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA