Sight Tube

NO COMMERCIAL VENDORS!
therose7
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 15213

Sight Tube

Post by therose7 »

Sight Tube: For Sale

Recently I sold an XP-100 through the IHMSA website. This pistol had on it a custom made sight tube which the buyer did not want. I would like to find a buyer for this sight tube.

For at least 40 years I have used a sight tube and apertures instead of notch and post open sights. In 1983 I shot the first 40x40 in half size with a sight tube, and over the years I shot several dozen 40x40s and a 60x60 in half size using a sight tube with apertures. I shot the first 80x80 in iron sights small bore at the Internationals a long, long time ago with a sight tube. I won the 2012 Internationals Unlimited iron sights category with a sight tube shooting 14x14 on 200 meter chickens in the shoot off, and I shot a Grand Slam in iron sights 500 meter silhouette with a sight tube. A sight tube with apertures does not work for everybody, but it works for me and several other people who have done well in IHMSA.

The earliest sight tubes were made by Richard King (no relative) of Arlington, Texas. I had several of them on several pistols, Recently I built another XP-100, and I needed another sight tube. I tried to locate one for sale, but I could not, so I decided to make my own. I had a Unertl scope with all the optics removed, and I decided to build a tube that would stand up to the massive recoil of a .308 win. that was going to launch 230 gr. Sierra Matchkings out to 1,000 yards, and I built this using a Weaver front base in which I drilled and countersunk an additional hole to attach to the two holes at the end of a standard XP-100 barrel. Above this is a 1” Weaver ring which is adjustable for windage. Inside the 1” ring is a Brownell’s adapter plastic sleeve that allows a 3/4” tube to be clamped in a 1” ring.

In the rear is the standard Unertl micrometer adjuster on top of a middle height base. I had had it on top of an “E” base so that it would be high enough to shoot out to 1,000 yards, but since I doubt anyone wants to shoot 1,000 yards iron sights, i have put a “C” base under the Unertl base. If this turns out to be too high, ebay has lower “A” and . “B” bases for $21.05 plus shipping so you can replace the rear base if you need to make it lower.

i have used the lens shrouds on the cannibalized Unertl scope to lock the aperture disks in place, and then I drilled and tapped screws through the shrouds and into the scope body so that the shrouds are unlikely to come loose under constant recoil.

The asking price for this sight tube is $350.00 which is what the micrometer Unertl adjuster alone sells for on ebay. If this sight tube interests you, please email me at <therose7@earthlink.net>, and I will send you several photographs of the tube assembly. Eric King.