Wanted - 30BR FL - FOUND ONE!

NO COMMERCIAL VENDORS!
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Wanted - 30BR FL - FOUND ONE!

Post by 260 Striker »

Title says it all. Redding makes a 30BR body die and that would be OK too. Please email shultza@watchtv.net if you have either one to get rid of.
Thanks
Last edited by 260 Striker on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: Wanted - 30BR Full Length Sizing Die

Post by 260 Striker »

I thought about that. I loaded 10 cast bullets to check my loads and some cartridges are hard to chamber. Neck dimensions are the same as jacketed loads so my cast bullets are sized OK. I'm using some of the nickel plated brass that came with the gun and some of them look like the necks were turned. I'm going to switch back to regular brass cases for the match. I just like to have a FL die in case I need to resize the bodies. I see Redding makes a 30BR body die that doesn't work the neck and that may be my other option then just neck size as usual.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Re: Wanted - 30BR FL Sizing Die or body die

Post by Richard Pickering »

Lynn, isn't the BR casing the same dia in the body as a .308W or '06 (or any that would be long enough to size the body and not touch the neck) ? Just thinking of a ''work-around''. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

RP - I will have to check that out. I don't know yet if my problem with the cast loads may be due to the nickel brass I was using for test loads. I plan to load some cast using some brass cases and see if I have the same chambering issues. I suspect it may be the nickel cases at this point since I have shot other cast loads with no problems using regular brass cases. I do like to have FL dies for all my cartridges just in case I should need it in the future. I would rather have a die that I don't need versus needing a die I don't have. Jackie pointed me to Midway where they have a Redding body die and I may just pick up one of those.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Craig, I'm using the neck die with no button. When I seat my cast bullets the outside neck dimension is the same as cases loaded with 150 Hornady SPs. I don't touch the shoulder when neck sizing so I'm still thinking it might be the nickel brass. They appeared to be turned since I can see lots of brass showing on some sides of the necks and then nickel on the opposite side. That nickel brass must not be as true as regular brass cases. The cast loads will chamber but you really have to grunt down on the bolt handle which is too hard in my way of thinking. I originally thought I needed to size my cast bullets smaller until I measured the outside necks of loaded cartridges, both with cast and jacketed bullets. If it doesn't rain this week I will try some cast with regular brass. Got a new NOE 150 grain mould that I wanted to try at our match but will shoot jacketed if I have to.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: Wanted - 30BR FL - FOUND ONE!

Post by 260 Striker »

Just a follow up. Bought a Redding body die from MidWayUSA. Ran the loaded rounds partially into the body die and just kissed the outside edge of the shoulders. Cases chamber great now. When seating cast bullets I flare the necks ever so slightly so the bullets will seat without scraping lead. I then took a 30TC seating die that I shortened to use as a crimp die to remove the flare from the case mouth. Don't really crimp just straighten out the necks again. I suspect when I remove the flare the necks the shoulders may have bulged out a thousand or two and made chambering hard. Anyway, running them partially into the body die fixed the problem. I can't believe the small flare and then straightening out the necks caused the shoulders to bulge since it was a very light flare but I'm happy now that the cases will now chamber easily.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: Wanted - 30BR FL - FOUND ONE!

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

The Redding body body die is one of my best investments. Ive had one for several years now,you come up with a round that just hard to chamber now and then,
you bump it a little,it solves your problem.mine was for my 6BR, but it worked perfect for my 22BR also.