Match fees

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Match fees

Post by Alvin »

I was curious as to what match fees are now, on the local monthly matches. Back in the '80's we were charging $10 per entry, but when the recession hit and interest died down we quit paying back money to the winners and went to a straight $5 per entry....no payback at all. We've kept it there since then. We have a very low overhead and wanted to keep the shooters coming back, even if it was only for braggin' rights. We eliminated target setters to cut costs and now everyone pitches in to help set the targets. Local USPSA matches are charging $10-$15 per gun.
I was just curious. Thanks for any replies!! :D

AL Nielsen
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Match fees

Post by 19 Turkeys »

We charge $6/Big Bore-Half Scale, $5/Small Bore-Field Pistol-Fifth Scale & $3 for the first gun, $2 for each additional gun for AIR. The reason for $3 on the first gun is we have to pay an hourly rental for our indoor range. These fees have been charged for at least 12 years (& when sanctioned in the case of AIR).

We pay target setters $75 for Small Bore & $100 for Big Bore plus tips. ($25/setter) We have no payback.

Al, I'm glad to see that Montrose is still shooting!

Steve W.
Last edited by 19 Turkeys on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

At Lawrenceburg Ky. we charge a $6.00 per gun for everything. All of our targets are on a mechanical reset system, some air some rope reset. We have a paid target painter. She paints the targets after every relay. We do not pay back anything either.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
Rodent
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 27115

Post by Rodent »

I believe that we have been and still are at $10 for first gun and $8 for each additional gun and we have never had any money go back to the winners. That goes for BB or SB.

Mike
Co-Match Director - Piedmont Sportsman Club in Gordonsville Virginia
Boomer
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57468

Post by Boomer »

Unfortunately I don't pay a great deal of attention. I hand in my score cards & pay what they tell me.

I believe at Crittenden it is $8 for Big Bore & $6 for Field Pistol & Small bore. If you are a member of the club you can take $1 off each price.
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

We have a somewhat unique situation. We are a very small club with low attendance and do not have a range of our own. We are allowed to use our local Sheriff's Dept range for our matches. The problem is we have to buy our own liability insurance. We also can't have any permanent target stands so I have to haul everything in the day of the match we bring it back home after the match. I also usually hire a target setter. Long story short, we have high expenses and low income so our entry fees are $8 per gun for Smallbore, Fifth Scale, and Field Pistol........and I still lose money holding the matches.......... Don't plan on quitting though.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer