How many states and ranges have you shot at?

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
ihmsa-2116
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 2116

Re: How many states and ranges have you shot at?

Post by ihmsa-2116 »

Wow, I like this one!

Since I never said we were the best shooters around, Sharon and I are going to claim a different kind of record.

let's start with multiple ranges in a lot of states, most IHMSA but some NRA:

I started working for Unisys (at that time it was Univac) in 1971 and started shooting silhouettes in 1978. Unisys started moving us around the country/world in 1979 and didn't stop until I retired in 2001. Five countries and a total of seventeen household moves in that time. We took advantage of this gypsy life style to blast a LOT of steel targets.

By state in alphabetical order with the number of different ranges we shot on in that state.

Canada (2) Alright, this isn't a state but Quebec was trying to become the 51st state at one time :)

AZ (2)
CA (10) those were the days. We shot a match just about every weekend and some weekends we could shoot two different matches. :)
FL (3)
ID (2)
IL (1)
IN (2)
IA (1)
KS (8)
KY (3)
MD (4)
MA (1)
MI (5)
MO (5)
NV (2)
NJ (1)
OH (2)
OK (2)
PA (5)
TN (1)
TX (3)
VA (4)

Unless my math is failing, that's two countries, 21 states, and 69 different clubs we shot on over the years. There aren't near that many around now and we have to drive at least 4 hours to shoot now. If anyone has shot at more ranges/states, then all I have to say is, you must have done it in states we didn't shoot in because I never saw you shooting with us.

Let's shoot steel ! :)
Last edited by ihmsa-2116 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
ihmsa-2116
Target Painter

Post by ihmsa-2116 »

Knife Handler wrote:I've shot matches in 8 states and 1 other country. They are CA, NV, AZ, ID, TN, NM, OR, SD and Australia.
CA - Redlands Fish & Game (where it all started), Val
You've been around a while and not to start an argument, but in CA it actually "started" at LASC. I know because I still have one of the original targets. If carbon dated, it would test from the Cretaceous era!
Knife Handler
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 29790

Post by Knife Handler »

ihmsa-2116 wrote:
Knife Handler wrote:I've shot matches in 8 states and 1 other country. They are CA, NV, AZ, ID, TN, NM, OR, SD and Australia.
CA - Redlands Fish & Game (where it all started), Val
You've been around a while and not to start an argument, but in CA it actually "started" at LASC. I know because I still have one of the original targets. If carbon dated, it would test from the Cretaceous era!
I'm sorry about that. :oops: I meant that it started for me at the Redlands range. I know that it all started in CA at LASC, as I have one of the old IHMSA papers with the article about the first match. Since that first match, they moved to another location. After some problems with that range, houses moving into the area, they ended up moving again. I am a charter member and put up funds, with others, to build the new range. It's really the first range, only layed out differently. You don't have to shoot across the range for the turkeys and rams now. They're straight down range, like the rest of the animals. John Adams ( first IHMSA preident ) lives near me and is a friend. I've shot the target you have. I can remember driving trucks over the rams to flatten them out after they started to warp after a day of shooting. If you're in the area, stop on by. We shoot on the second full week end.
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

How about – how many states did you shoot IHMSA matches in last year (2010) :?:
United States of America
ihmsa-2116
Target Painter

Post by ihmsa-2116 »

DaveC wrote:How about – how many states did you shoot IHMSA matches in last year (2010) :?:
You are soooooooooooo cruel.

I will give you one clue. The years we shot the most bullets down range was 80 and 81 when we lived in Torrence. Not too far from John Adams. We bought a pallet of bullets from Sierra in 80 and divided it up in the club.

My wife is to the point where she can't shoot creedmore any longer but we still enjoy the standing when we get the opportunity to go to a match.

When we started shooting in Springfield in 78 there was an old guy by the name of Rex Pierce who came and shot standing. I was just thinking last year that when we go to a match now, I am Rex Pierce. Just slightly less older than dirt.

I do plan on the Ints this year and absolutely will be at the Ints next year in OKC. I won't be trying for Iron Man though.

I think the answer to your question would be two.
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Jackie Brown * SO far 11 states, (OK 8) (TX 7) (KS 1) (CA 1) (TN 1) (IN 1) (VA 1) (ID 2) (NV 1) (AZ 2) (OH 1) 26 RANGES. 27th International Championships.
Last edited by JACKIE40X40 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
mugs
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by mugs »

Bev and I are in our 32 nd. year of silhouette shooting. 10 states and 20 ranges. We plan on adding a few more before we quit. Ben Avery [Old Black Canyon] is our home range where along with Jess and Terry Pilcher we run the matches.
AK. 5
AZ. 4
CA. 2
ID. 2
IN. 1
HI. 1
SC. 1
TN. 1
TX. 1
WA. 1
19 Internationals
Mugs 5940L
Bev 5940WL
Shoot only cast Boolits
Member since 1979 #5940
Former Match Director Anchor Rams
Former Match Director Phoenix Silhouette
Former Alaska State Director
NRA Life
IHMSA Life
Cast Bullet 80x80 1983
kg4tyr
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by kg4tyr »

5 ranges in MI years ago.
1 range in TN last weekend
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

Georgia 2 ranges
Tennessee
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Florida

Now you can ask – how many ranges did I shoot WELL at last year =))
ihmsa70
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 70

Post by ihmsa70 »

Seems like most of these are closed, but here goes:

Texas:
El Paso..Ft. Bliss and Desert Sands
Notrees (Odessa)
Crane
Lubock
Snyder
Amarillo
Abilene
Weatherford
Brownwood
Uvalde
New Braunfels
Ft. Stockton
Beaumont
Granbury
Midland
Austin?
New Mexico
Hobbs
Artesia

Arizona
Phenoix

Calif
Los Angeles

Oklahoma
Oklahoma City
Norman?

Kansas
Salina
Wichita
Last edited by ihmsa70 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.