Introduce yourself

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
1957PRR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by 1957PRR »

Thinking of getting back into silhouettes again. The first time I competed in IHMSA was when I was in the U.S.Army in 1980 while posted at Ft. Hood, TX and went to a shoot in El Paso, TX with my army shooting buddy. I shot with a Ruger, SBH, 10.5” in 44 Mag. I think I nocked down about maybe half the targets but was hooked on silhouette shooting. After the army in South East Michigan, I competed at a gun club back in 1989-1992 until the gun club lost their lease on the land they were using. I first used a T/C 14” in 7T/CU. Then got a factory XP in 7BR, but went back to the T/C because to me it was easier to load and unload without losing my precious cases. Looking at getting one of the SSK-50 frames and maybe a MGM barrel in 7T/CU. I like that cartridge because it will nock down rams if I do my part and it won’t beat me up after 40-80 rounds. And on the plus side I can scope the gun so my 62 year old eyes don’t have try and deal with open sights. As for other shooting sports, well I’m one of those guys that chases the Almighty one hole groups on paper but there is nothing like nocking ten rams in a row with center high shots. And yes, I have the gift to gab.

Pete Resetz
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Welcome back Pete!!!
Glad to see you were finally able to get registered here.
Hope to see you at the LHA sometime.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
wheelgun7360

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Great to have you back. Allen
User avatar United States of America
hockeyref
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 50305

Post by hockeyref »

Actually my third post here. Joined the site about 5 years go to make a comment and went dormant again. I shot in the late 80's and early 90's in Western Pa. I'm wanting to shoot again if I can find some clubs that are within a couple hours. Don't remember my classes I think I think I was AAA in Unlimited (kept booting either a chicken or turkey to keep me from INT), Revolver was IIRC AA or AAA w\cast bullets. Cannot remember what I did off my hind legs.

Steve Uhall
United States of America
Gus
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 23339

Post by Gus »

Hello All,

Mike Williams here, #23339. I go by Gus on the forums. Finally back down in the Lower 48 (spent the last 20 years up in Alaska). I've renewed my IHMSA membership and can't wait to get back out to a range, resurrect the old silhouette pistols and start knocking over steel targets.

Shot my first silhouette match in Boise, Idaho. This was in February of '82. All I had was a Ruger Blackhawk, 6.5" barrel in .357 mag. Nailed a 14x40 in Revolver and a 10x40 in Standing. Went 0x20 on turkeys and 2x20 on rams that day. But, the booms and clangs went straight to my core and have loved the sport ever since. After that I joined the Air Force and shot a lot of silhouettes in Idaho, Oklahoma, South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Wyoming.

We are in the process of moving to Texas. My wife and I will spend winters there. Spring, summer and fall will see us volunteering our time at state and national parks, or campgrounds while we tour the country in the motorhome.

It'll be fun and rewarding rekindling old friendships and making new friends when we stop in for a silhouette shoot.

In Liberty,

Gus
United States of America
Cactusboy
Target Setter

Much water under the bridge

Post by Cactusboy »

Couldn't recall my old sign-on -- or IHMSA number -- so registered again as Cactusboy. Many years ago -- 25? 30? -- I watched a match or two and shot in a match or two at the Sportsman Park in Merlin, Oregon, under the watchful match direction of Mr. Steve Ware. At that time JCunclejoe and another feller were regular shooters in Merlin despite a long drive from Bend/Redmond, if I recall. I think I might have bought a 7 TCU barrel from Joe in the "proper" twist, but know that I shot my first match with a Contender with 10-inch 6.5 TCU barrel and handloads featuring the fairly new Nosler 120-grain Ballistic Tip.
Pretty sure I shot from the Creedmoor position, but recall struggling with sight picture through the Bushnell 2-6 scope. Might still have the Lyman suction-cup "iris" eye piece somewhere.
Is it my imagination, or was it a tradition for Mr. 19 Turkeys to cook brats for after the match?
I don't own any suitable big-bore handguns any more, but am considering either Buckmark or the long-barreled Ruger Mark IV to try my hand at small-bore. Believe it or not, all these years later, I live in Sweetwater, Texas. Our rifle and pistol club -- along with the club down in New Braunfels -- are the last two holding regular silhouette shoots in all of Texas. The Sweetwater Rifle and Pistol Club has been shooting IHMSA since 1978, so I am told.
Bill Powell
Formerly of Jackson, County, Oregon
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Hi Bill

We are now in AZ south of Tucson. Thanks forcthe walk down memory lane.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Cactusboy
Target Setter

Post by Cactusboy »

Steve, weren't you in on the design of the Crosman 2300T for indoor air pistol silhouette?
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Yes I was. Worked with Crosman for a while.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Wildcatter
Target Setter

Post by Wildcatter »

Bob Saum from NW Ohio. Shot my first handgun Silhouette match over 45 years ago. Been an avid handgun hunter my whole life. Here to see how it's done today.