Introduce yourself

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
tjay
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by tjay »

My name is Tony. I have zero experience with silhouette.
I discovered you place today. Trying to learn some things.
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

tjay wrote:My name is Tony. I have zero experience with silhouette.
I discovered you place today. Trying to learn some things.
Hi Troy,

Where are you so we can direct you to a local club?

Yours,

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Hi Tony, Glad you found our web site. I hope you can find a club local to your home and will attend a match to get the idea what silhouette shooting is all about. Really great people in this sport and willing to help new shooters with advice and even let you shoot some of their guns. I'm located in west central OH if you are ever in that neck of the woods look up the Logan Handgun Association. Welcome to IHMSA. Lynn
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
bored184
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57396

Post by bored184 »

Jonathan Yergin

Got the IHMSA bug from my father who shot many moons ago. I started shooting back in 2010 but sadly had to put the guns away to start a family and career but I am excited to be back and look forward to picking up wear I left off.
pokute
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57719

Post by pokute »

Phil Ehrens

Los Angeles Silhouette Club Member for 3 years

Hi folks,

I am planning to shoot two guns at the World Championship,
but I'm more than a little confused about the categories. Please help!

I shoot standing up on my hind legs with iron sights.

I intend to shoot a High Standard Supermatic in a 100m match

I intend to shoot a Ruger 44M revolver in a 200m match

What are the correct abbreviations/acronyms for these matches??

Also, the Supermatic barrel is factory compensated. Does that disqualify it?
I switched to the Supermatic when my M41 developed extraction issues.

Phil
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Hi Phil. You will be shooting Standing (S) with your Ruger 44. Normally I would say you would also be shooting Standing with your HS but because it is ported that may move you into the Unlimited Standing (US) category. I hope someone from the LA range replies about your HS since I have seen them used as just a small bore Standing gun most of the time but I don't want to speak for any of the LA officials. Even if you shoot US with your HS you should have a great time at the match.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
pokute
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57719

Post by pokute »

Thank you. I heard yesterday that a guy in our club is a walking IHMSA rulebook, so I'm going to ask him at next week's match. I hope I don't have to fall back to using the M41 - Pushing brass out with a stick kind of breaks my concentration.
Gundog
Target Setter

Post by Gundog »

Hi my name is Mike Miller I have not been active in IHMSA for about 14 years. Life and a job change got in the way as well as moving from my home range Grants Pass, OR. I see Steve Ware is still running the matches that is good to know I have always enjoyed Steve. If any of you remember me I used to travel with Don & Faye Ritz from the Coast to the matches back then. My job change had me working rotating 12 Hr shifts and it made it hard to attend matches on a regular basis. I am planning to attend a match at some point this fall my son John and I will probably drive to Grants Pass to shoot with old fiends hopefully there are some left I know Steve will be there. I currently live in SW Washington.

Mike
dragoslav
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 48855

Post by dragoslav »

Wash shooting International Rifle in England (yes, in 1965 to 1969 you could go to the YMCA on Regent St. in Cambridge and shoot rim-fire at 25 meters) and later (1969 to 1975) in central Illinois. When I went to Albuquerque (NM) in July 1975, for my graduate studies, I frequented Ron Peterson's Guns and met a Lee Jurras who was representing Auto Mag (somehow related to Arcadia Machine & Tool Guns). He was distributing fliers and so through him I discovered a "new" sport, practiced in southern New Mexico, southern Arizona, and at the Fort Bliss Gun & Rod Club in El Paso (TX) called 'siluetas metalicas'. I coincided my next trip to Ciudad Juarez (yes, in 1975 it was safe) with a 'siluetas metallicas' match and watched in fascination. At that time I neither had a high power rifle nor the time for frequent trips to El Paso, and at that time no one was even considering rim fire silhouettes, but if I could coincide trips to El Paso (work related trips to the Momsen-Doneggan Electrical Works) with the match I would show up and someone would let me shoot an iron sight Winchester lever action. As fate would have it, in September of 1975 I drove to Flagstaff (AZ) for a meeting of the American Chemical Society where my research "boss" and I presented a poster; after the meeting the Arizona members told me to drive south through Tucson so as to see the colorful aspens (I had driven through Gallup NM) and it is thus that re-route that I ended in Tucson on the week-end of the 1st International Handgun Metallic Silhouette championships. That was some show; I could not believe the hand guns they had. It took another two to three years before rim fire silhouettes showed up at the Zia Gun Club and another two for a club to be formed called West Mesa Ram Busters, I believe they were NRA rules because no one was using scoped pistols 'Creedmoor'; in any case, I got me a H&R single shot bolt action (K-Mart, $49.95!!) with a 10X scope AND a TC 10" with iron sights (used, from Ron Peterson) and I was on my way. Joined IHMSA in 1983 because the Central Arkansas Gun Club in Conway shot IHMSA and not NRA.
DW44VH
Target Setter

Post by DW44VH »

My name is Gary Couch,
I am a Canadian shooter, my handle may be pretty obvious. DW44VH - Dan Wesson 44magnum Vent Heavy. I apologize for not introducing myself when I signed up. I shoot .22 rifle and pistol, 9mm, 44 and 7mm BR handgun and 22-250 rifle. I shot some IHMSA matches 30 plus years ago in Folsom California and plan on doing so again here in Canada.
Thank you for having me.