New Website

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
wheelgun7360

Re: New Website

Post by wheelgun7360 »

i'm on the board and i give a DAMN. i post here all the time ,but can't speak for the other board members.
allen gaskin
region 2 director
kg4tyr
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by kg4tyr »

tonedaddy wrote:It was great to finally have a new website that Bob did last year, however nothing new from the IHMSA brass has been published, they wanted this site so bad now they do nothing with it. When I was editor I posted many of the articles that were in the paper here, but it still seemed like no one gave a sh**. The IHMSA paper is a joke, all 12 pages of it each month, that makes it worth $50 per year? Please!!!!!!!!!!! Ok board members, you want it promoted so promote it! X( Do any of you really give a damn? (-|
I have to agree with you on this. I've been back in this sport for a year now and nothing ever changes. As you stated, the paper isn't hardly worth the paper it's printed on. Aside from monthly scores and an article or two, it never changes. Where are all of the board members, officers, etc. There should posts from some of these people at least weekly. Promoting the sport, sharing any old or new business, whatever. Just show your members you care and give them a little something. My membership comes due in 9 days and I don't have the $35 let alone the $50 we have to pay now. As much as I like the sport, shooting in matches, and meeting new people with like interests. It ain't worth $50/year. That being said, I'll somehow come up with the money, but I may miss shooting as a sanctioned shooter for a couple matches in the mean time. I've tried to get a range opened locally, but I can't push the people to do it. I've also pushed forum members here to participate more and outside of our "Saturday Night Check In", post, it's been almost a waist of time. Well I'll still be here pushing, just consider this my 2 cents
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
Robert Becherer
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 33098

Post by Robert Becherer »

Back in 1984 when I first started shooting this sport,we were non stop shooting from the beginning to end of the day.I even made a "on deck shooter" number board so the people knew when their number time slot was coming.If you missed that slot,either you had to trade slots with someone,wait for an empy slot,or didn't get to shoot.Now we have pretty much the same 15-20 people showing up.Some even coming from a long distance.Why did this sport drop off?.We have over 1000 people in our club and now with Wisconsin passing the CCW law,we have had many new members join.I feel our MD should be promoting this course of fire in our new letter.What better way to get to know your firearm and it capability than shooting the Field pistol course or Small bore course.Granted some of the firearms may be small ,but still be a challenge and get some practice,practice,practice.We have our first match this weekend and I will on the MD to get something in the newsletter.Maybe I have to do it myself. :-?
NRA Life Member
I.H.M.S.A. #33098
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

I have seen such posts before - People (such as Tonedaddy), that can find only fault in IHMSA, yet offer no solution. I know that all state, regional, and International directors are volunteers. I have been a match, state, and regional director. As for myself, I have found much more good in IHMSA than bad. So Tonedaddy, don't renew your membership; that is your choice ! Just don't expect us to beg you to stay !! I agree that our state and regional directors should write more reports - and I do not have an answer for that. We all need to do either a little or a lot to keep IHMSA going - what each of us does helps. We need to stop shooting holes in the boat ! Your comments about Production class have some merit, but that "horse" has been beaten to a bloody pulp many times before. The old Production class is gone FOREVER ! The equipment has evolved - just as Elgin Gates hoped it would.
Last edited by braud357 on Wed May 02, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
braud357
Class A

Post by braud357 »

I will not argue this with you, Tonedaddy ! You have your opinions, and you have every right to express them. Don't get mad just because everyone does not agree with you !
Life Member - NRA
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

tonedaddy wrote:
braud357 wrote:I will not argue this with you, Tonedaddy ! You have your opinions, and you have every right to express them. Don't get mad just because everyone does not agree with you !
I try not to Phillip, I just cannot believe that we now only have around one thousand members, and how many actually shoot? I just believe the IHMSA needs totally restuctured and cash prizes need to be part of the equation. If Rich Mertz and the MOA shooters can raise over 10k in prizes for their annual shoot that is attended by less than 50 people, why can we seem to do that with many more people? The answer is easy, MONEY TALKS! Even for poor guys like me!
I understand your point about money as it may revive the sport, but some of us wouldn't be able to afford the entry fees @ $25 per gun. I know I can't and my wife would go through the roof if I paid that to shoot in a monthly match. Even a plaque or trophy to take home. Where I shoot we don't get anything. But then again we only have 2-5 shooters a month.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

IHMSA is only still alive in Louisiana because of efforts by myself and my brother. If it were not for our hard work, it would have died here years ago. PLEASE UNDERSTAND. I'm not trying to brag here, this is just the way it is. I have been willing, and more than glad to do the work when nobody else would step up and get it done. I'm not looking for praise or reward, I just want the sport to go on.

Now, the other shoe drops. If IHMSA becomes a money shoot, I have ZERO interest in being involved. I will close the doors and take my toys home and that will be the end of IHMSA in Louisiana.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

This is my opinion only. Craig's idea of "shoot for loot" may have some merit. There are many ways to do it. I will not expound on them here. It is done in trap shooting all the time. They continue to call their organization the Amateur Trapshooters Association. Last year a shooter was eligible to win $100,000.00 for shooting 100 birds and winning.

I personally do not blame the officers and board members for not posting in discussions here. As volunteers they as well as the match directors should not be open to abuse. There are some things we all disagree with. I sincerely wish they would post there reports here.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

I've been an IHMSA member since 1981 so have seen how the early days were stritly run by Elgin and that was what was needed to get IHMSA rolling. No disputes, just do as Elgin said and I thank him for that. When he passed on there was high hopes the organization would become more member oriented. To a degree that has happened but there is still much that goes on behind the scenes that is kept from the general membership. I suggested years ago that each of our committees should post what they are considering in each of the editions of the IHMSA News. If nothing is being considered, then let everyone know. The technical committees of the past have done great jobs but there are times when I think they could have been more open and asked for shooter feedback on past issues. I was severely chastised in the IHMSA News for a letter I wrote to HQ about aftermarket sights for Production. Now look, we have replacement sights and not everyone is shooting 40s as was the dire prediction back then. I love IHMSA and will continue to be a member but the recent increase in dues and the explanation in the recent newspaper just don't add up to me. There is still a lot of stuff going on that we as general members don't know anything about. We are all adults and deserve to know the decisons that are being made "on our behalf". I see many MDs mention all the side shoots that are available at many clubs and there should be some way to incorporate that into our regimines. Concealed carry guns can be used in FP but are they really competitive against TCs and other IHMSA style guns. A lot of people groan about more categories and classes and how difficult it would be to track those scores. Give me a break. I was MD for many years and can type an extra line or two in a match report. No big deal especially since many clubs don't have enough to fill the normal categories. Now if some FP shooter gets his/her kicks from using their TC 22Hornet to beat a person shooting a Glock 9mm then they need to reassess their goals in life. Is IHMSA all bad? Heck no! Can it be improved? I think changes could be made to encourage more shooters to use what they already have and still have a sense of being competitve. I would mention the rifle side shoots but this is a handgun sport although I have a great time shooting my 03 with cast bullets at the big bore targets. Rambing on too much but just food for thought.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
braud357
Class A

Post by braud357 »

high standard 40 wrote:IHMSA is only still alive in Louisiana because of efforts by myself and my brother. If it were not for our hard work, it would have died here years ago. PLEASE UNDERSTAND. I'm not trying to brag here, this is just the way it is. I have been willing, and more than glad to do the work when nobody else would step up and get it done. I'm not looking for praise or reward, I just want the sport to go on.

Now, the other shoe drops. If IHMSA becomes a money shoot, I have ZERO interest in being involved. I will close the doors and take my toys home and that will be the end of IHMSA in Louisiana.
I have been a member of IHMSA since May 1980 - I remember the "boom" times under Elgin. Hell, In Louisiana we had 7 active ranges at one time. Matches with over 100 entries were the norm, and competition was fierce ! If you trophied at a match you had really accomplished something. I have also witnessed the steady decline in membership and participation during my 30+ years of membership. I know that most people are motivated by money, but I shoot for the sheer enjoyment of it. I know that funds needed to be raised, but I personally think that the annual dues increase to $50 is a mistake. And, like my brother Charlie said - if IHMSA should ever become a money sport - I will not be interested in participating. In my opinion, IHMSA has not maintained a steady membership because, frankly - it is a difficult sport. Our game, when compared to other shooting sports - is HARD ! Couple that with the lack of places to practice, and you have people that try it a couple of times, then move to something less challenging. And, as I said before - money motivates some of those shooters as well. I have nothing against "shooting for dollars", if you so choose. Just count me out !! ---- Philip Braud
Life Member - NRA