User avatar United States of America
SteveJewels
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57964

Questions about a 223

Post by SteveJewels »

Hello,

I hope you are well.

My name is Steve and I moved to Dayton a few years ago for a job.

I used to shoot Pistol Silhouette at Ben Avery starting 20 years ago but have not shot in the last 10 or so. I remember shooting three disciplines, well, I had three different pistols. LOL Two Contenders, 22LR and 22 Hornet, and a 629. The 629 had a scope, I don't remember what I had on the Contenders.

Fast forward to the present. I was looking for some shooting in my general area and found the NKSSA. The Contenders and 629 are long gone but I found an Exemplar on Gunbroker. I had bever seen anything like it before, and it was left handed (right bolt). Yes, I am handicapped, LOL, left handed, left eye dominant.

I put a scope I had laying around on it and took it to the range yesterday. I am amazed at how well it shoots. As soon as I got one shot in the circle, the next two shots were touching for 3 shot cloverleaf at 50 yards. I can't shoot that good.

Now to the questions.

1. Can you use an XP-100 in 223 Rem for the 1/2 scale game?
2. With a 4.5-14X40 scope?
3. With a muzzle brake?
4. Repeater?
5. Thumbhole stock?

If such a configuration is acceptable, I would probaby do that too.

Thanks!
IHMSA 57964L

35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: Questions about a 223

Post by 35isit »

Welcome back Steve. You can use the XP as long as the barrel length is 15" or less including the brake. You need to keep velocity at about 2400fps or less. I shoot at NKSSA quite often. Maybe I will see you this Saturday. Start time is noon.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

ok, lets go down the list.

1. the 223 is legal for 1/2 scale and full scale. But you will need to use a 70-90 Gr bullet to take down the full size rams.

now concerning target damage (which will get you disqualified faster than anything else) testing was done with a .223 and a 55 gr FMJ bullet. it was found that AR-500 steel targets started to Crater between 2800-3000 Fps. T1 steel started to crater around 2600 fps. and A36 steel started to crater around 2400 Fps.

2. There is no restrictions in power of the scope in Unlimited class. But, it will depend on what position you shoot. If you are shooting Creedmore position, you are limited to handgun and some scout scopes to get enough eye relief to see through the scope. In flop (a modified prone position), anything is allowed.

3. Muzzle brakes are allowed on any unlimited gun.

4. A repeater in an XP would be the XR-100 which were rear grip guns. you can use a repeater but cannot load more than 5 rounds for each cycle.

5. Thumbhole stocks are perfectly legal.

hope this answers your questions.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

We have had several people try the .223 on half size with varying results. Typically a stock XP with a factory barrel and the bullet traveling around 2400, will only stabalize a 62 grain bullet. Also it helps to use a flat based squat bullet to keep it stabalized.
This will still occasionaly ring a 1/2 scale ram.
If you are shooting a rebarreled XP with a faster twist of 1/9, 1/8, 1/7, then you can shoot a heavier bullet at 2200-2400 and very reliably take rams.

I shoot a bolt action gun (Rampro) in .223 with a 1/7 twist and a 69 grain bullet traveling 2400 and it takes rams reliably and does not damage our T1 targets. The bullet is the sierra 69 gr HPBT. Since this is an unlimited category you only need to worry about length of barrel length of sight radius (if using iron sights) overall length of gun and total weight.

Your exemplar in .22 is the go to gun in Small Bore unlimited, small bore unlimited any sight, 1/5 scale and 1/5 scale any sight.
You are also close to Bellefontaine Ohio where Logan Handgun Assoc. shoots on the 4th Saturday. Dayton to Bellefontaine is 57 miles.
You are a little farther to Circleville Oh. at 77 miles. Pickaway County Sportsmen shoot silhouettes on the 2nd Saturday. Pickaway shoots Field pistol, small bore and 1/5 scale.
Logan Handgun shoots Big bore, 1/2 scale, small bore and Field pistol.
Living in Dayton puts you in a sweet spot between Crittenden, Bellefontaine, and Circleville.
You are in the middle of a triangle and can shoot 3 times a month without traveling too far.
If you travel to Lawrenceburg, Ky (2 hours and change) you can shoot with 35isit.

Welcome back. Hope we see you at a match soon.

Jim Kesser (I run the match at Pickaway County Sportsmen in Circleville, Oh)
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

Thank you for the welcome and all the replies.

That is great news that there are other matches within striking distance.

What discipline would I have been shooting with the 22 Hornet?

I will have to figure out the 223 thing as I go along.

Greg, I will see you Saturday.
IHMSA 57964L

SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

I think that would have been Field Pistol.
IHMSA 57964L

United States of America
Ron284Win
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 50771

Post by Ron284Win »

Steve, welcome back to silhouettes. Enjoyed meeting you today and shooting with you. Always enjoy meeting new people. Hope to see you at a range soon.
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

Thank you and it was great meeting you too.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Looking forward to the next match.
IHMSA 57964L