Firearm Recommendation Wanted

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
Zadars
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Firearm Recommendation Wanted

Post by Zadars »

In the market to purchase a pistol specifically for use at a Silhouette match and looking for recommendations. At first glance I am entertaining a Freedom Arms MODEL 2008 – single shot equipped with 1 in 14″ RH 15″ Barrel. To which I would be looking to attach an optic I would also be seeking recommendations for. Very much the newbie to the IHMSA community but not to pistol competitions w / a tricked out S&W Revolver - Steel Challenge - USPSA and Knockdown to name a few. Feel free to either Email me @ Misterbrooks@Gmail.com or post a comment. Thank You
United States of America
wheelgun7360
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 31160

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Doug has you on the right path!!
Last edited by wheelgun7360 on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Re: Firearm Recommendation Wanted

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

TC Contender with 22lr, 22 hornet, and 7tcu or 300 Whisper barrel would be a great start. Do you plan to shoot open sights or scope and freestyle or standing?
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
United States of America
Zadars
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by Zadars »

As mentioned I a very new to this discipline and to shoot the local Match @ Cherokee Gun Club (Gainesville Ga) it turns out I need to keep the Barrel 10”, OAL 14.750 and under 3.94 lbs. Have received numerous recommendations for T/C but they are no longer MFG and I was leaning to something currently in production and dominates.
For Starters I’d like a Scoped Firearm but will want it to have Iron Site as a future option. As for caliper I am also not sure what center fire might suit me best and any recommendations appreciated.
I hear a lot about the Freedom Arms but there again which & What Caliper. A 2008? Model 83? Model 97? 357 Max? 357 Mag, Etc, Etc. Thank You
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

I would choose 6.5 mm benchrest using the Sierra 142 gr bullet. 6 mm Lapua brass necked up for big bore & half scale and the 25-20 for field pistol.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

Cherokee Gun Club hosts Small Bore (including 1/5 scale) and Field Pistol, with Air Pistol on request.

T/Cs, although out of production, are probably the easiest choice to get started. For Field Pistol, quite a few of us CGC shooters use S&W revolvers, just because we like them, certainly not because they dominate the field. I managed to make AAA in both FP and FPAS using a .44 with lead bullets at ~1000fps. A couple of 30+ scores in FPAS with a S&W chambered in .45 Colt as well.

Another popular choice amongst the CGC shooters include BF pistols for both SB and Field Pistol. (.22 Hornets are scarce, however .30-20 chambering are relatively common. Both beg to be custom loaded.)

Freedom Arms revolvers dominate Revolver class. But, again, a good shooting S&W isn't bad. Especially if you want to shoot it standing in other classes!
Dan Wessons are out there. "Odd feeling" to me.

For U, UAS and 1/5 scale: Anschutz. Exemplars or 64Ps. I might even have a spare. (One of the last 100, which are best run scoped. The factory iron sights on these are differently attached than the earlier variants and are...disappointing.) But just this month the only .22 UAS 40 was done from sitting with a BF under a 3X(?) scope!

For .22 Standing: Bring your favorite target pistol. Best score for me has been with a 4" barreled Benelli MP95e. (Sadly, currently awaiting repair of it's trigger housing.) TC, BF, S&W 41 or revolver, High Standard, Browning Buckmark, Ruger, Pardini, etc.

Oh, and Ruger Chargers! Surprisingly good when outfitted well. Can't shoot Production nor Standing with 'em, though. UAS, US, maybe even U. A Charger won the UAS State Championship (with a shoot-off at 1/5 scale targets set a100yds) a couple or three years ago.