Isn't the 6.5 mm Creedmoor just a copycat of the 6.5 mm IHMSA International?

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Isn't the 6.5 mm Creedmoor just a copycat of the 6.5 mm IHMSA International?

Post by forest341 »

The 6.5 mm Creedmoor cartridge was introduced in 2007 as a "newly" developed cartridge by Hornady.

Except for a very slight difference in shoulder angle, to me it looks like a near exact copy-cat of the 6.5 IHMSA International cartridge developed back in 1975 by E. Gates.

This sounds like China at work, steal & copy, then take credit for other peoples time & hard work.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: Isn't the 6.5 mm Creedmoor just a copycat of the 6.5 mm IHMSA International?

Post by aggshooter »

^#(^ hahaha. I don't know about a China connection, but many current cartridges are only minimally different from those of yesteryear, and the IHMSA case family parented several.
Likewise, I heard of the 6 Dasher in use as a silo round long before it was popular with the current long range rifle gamers.
And if you have an old enough reloading manual, the old 6 International is nearly a dead ringer for the current 6x47 Lapua. The only differences is the newer cartridge is .023" longer from rim to base of neck, and the shoulder is now 30 degrees instead of 26 degrees on the 6 Int. In fact, I have a bunch of 6 International cases found at a yard sale, I easily form them into 6.5x 47 Lapua for practice brass in my XP. Oh yeah, the older case has a large primer pocket, but shhhh, my XP doesn't know the difference!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Re: Isn't the 6.5 mm Creedmoor just a copycat of the 6.5 mm IHMSA International?

Post by 64XP-100 »

Main difference is probably longer throat for high BC bullets right in the SAAMI specs.
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member