The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: If IHMSA was starting today...

Post by aggshooter »

forest341 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:25 pm
aggshooter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:58 pm Playing devil's advocate here...How far would YOU travel for a 20 round match? How far would you expect others to travel for such a match? or are you talking local matches only?
I made my suggestion in response to the original question, "where are we going vs. where do we want IHMSA to go?"

A even earlier comment I made was about the need to simplify the match.

So I thought of some ideas of how to simplify the matches and try to shorten the duration leading up to the good stuff. I don't know all the impacts to my suggestion. I just thought someone needed to throwing some ideas out for everyone to chew on.

But if I was only shooting 20x20 matches, (and hopefully a shoot-off) it sure would allow me a lot more time to shoot more entries. Instead of just 3 gun entries of 40x40 in one afternoon, I could maybe then have enough time to shoot 5 or 6 gun entries in a 20x20 format. Being able to shoot most of my guns, instead of having to pick out which 3 I want to shoot the most would be a big plus with this format.

And another idea to make our sport more current, would be to make it shot at all pig targets. Since wild pigs are a huge problem just about everywhere, it would be more relatable and hopefully more appealing to the bigger shooting public. We might attract actual pig hunters to our sport.
My apologies if it sounded like I was nitpicking or singling anyone out. Just wanted to know what the expectations were. I appreciate the input, your response was indeed toward the original question. :)
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

FP cartridges:
Center fire cartridges of standard (SAAMI) manufacture with a maximum case length of 1.30 inches
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Pat, FP began as straightwall cases of 1.29 or 1.30''. Along the way we allowed the 32-20 which is not a true straightwall but close
enough to it. Along came the .22 Hornet, again not a straightwall. However, not the K-Hornet. We allowed the 270 REN and later
the 25-20. Many of us adopted the standard Hornet. There are many who cling to the .38Spl and 357Mag. Also the 44M has a following,
the 44s are usually loaded down. The big bullets present a reloading challenge. For several years I used the 32-20 (actually 30-20) as FP
and big bore using a 165gr bullet for both. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by forest341 »

Deleted.
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

OK, then.
Seems to me that a hinderance to new shooters is that having a good spotter is a big part of making progress. If you're on, no worries. But if you're off, it gets frustrating quickly!

Perhaps an "Instant Replay" camera that can show where the last shot went? Seems to me that it would be expensive. But I'm no techie. There might be already something out there.
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

I have shot with my cell phone clamped to a spotting scope. They make the bracket and sell it on amazon. Another shooter saw this and found an app that would delay the video. He could shoot and spot himself. Take the shot and look over at his phone. There was like a 2 second delay and you could see your hit or miss.
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

Post by 7br »

Hosspower wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:41 am I have shot with my cell phone clamped to a spotting scope. They make the bracket and sell it on amazon. Another shooter saw this and found an app that would delay the video. He could shoot and spot himself. Take the shot and look over at his phone. There was like a 2 second delay and you could see your hit or miss.
Any idea what the app is?