If IHMSA was starting today...

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

If IHMSA was starting today...

Post by aggshooter »

Our organization has many long term members, tinkerers, traditionalists, standing, freestyle, optics only, and open sights only. There is value in each.

The question here is where are we going vs. where do we want IHMSA to go? We are all aging, and while I hope for and applaud all those who hope to shoot into their mid 80's, there is a realism that in 10 years many of us will not be still in the game or relegated to the occasional entry. There is a variety of reasons...mostly health or limited travel related, that many of us will be subjected to.

Drawing new and younger shooters in other disciplines often appeals to optics categories and firearm availability. Aging shooters are increasingly dependent on optics. All of us want to shoot good scores.

So, if we were creating this game today...what would it look like? Would the categories be the same? Would the targets, course of fire, etc be the same? What would YOU do?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
kerdunk
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57879

Re: If IHMSA was starting today...

Post by kerdunk »

4B8F243F-0257-4DAA-B540-6093D301B639.jpeg
Tim Downs
IHMSA #57879
NRA Life Member
Teacher
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

Post by 7br »

I would add a couple of sanctioned long gun categories. The matches I attend usually have cowboy side matches, but not everyone has a lever gun. No real issue with .22 matches, but I would be concerned with target damage on big bore matches. Maybe a class for pistols suitable for concealed carry on field pistol targets.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

7br wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:51 pm I would add a couple of sanctioned long gun categories. The matches I attend usually have cowboy side matches, but not everyone has a lever gun. No real issue with .22 matches, but I would be concerned with target damage on big bore matches. Maybe a class for pistols suitable for concealed carry on field pistol targets.
Interesting. I'm assuming the rifles would be shot standing. So a bolt rifle 22 on 1/5 scale under NRA rules but at IHMSA distances? And maybe BB rifle limited to 300 Blackout or 44 mag capacity?

Good replies, keep them coming!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

Post by 7br »

Actually, I would do both 3/8 and 1/5 scale for rifle. Can't make it too hard right off of the bat. We need Shoot what whatcha got categories. Hence, the carry class
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

What else? Would you keep all the present categories? What would you change? Don't be afraid to think outside the box, the only "update" we've had in almost 30 years is the inclusion of Practical Hunter, and that wasn't a warm welcome.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
kerdunk
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57879

Post by kerdunk »

Change sighters … eliminate the current sighter relay of 2 minutes, add 1 minute for 2 sighters at each distance. This is more of a rule change than anything else, but I think it would help with the flow of the match for shooters. Might free up a line position, as well.
Tim Downs
IHMSA #57879
NRA Life Member
Teacher
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

In my opinion the most logical change would be to add a "Open" class to each category. This way, you could allow all of those guns that were "turned away" during all the years of IHMSA. I have seen countless guns (and shooters) turned away because of a slight modification to their gun, and most never returned. IHMSA has discouraged participation for far too long - as long as it is not harmful to the targets - LET THEM SHOOT ! Also, if you allow rifles - you should also change the name of the association ! Another thing to consider is modification of classes in each category - these could be narrowed down a bit. This would definitely be necessary if you allow optics into the Production and Revolver categories. Too many classes = confusion !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

braud357 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:47 am In my opinion the most logical change would be to add a "Open" class to each category. This way, you could allow all of those guns that were "turned away" during all the years of IHMSA. I have seen countless guns (and shooters) turned away because of a slight modification to their gun, and most never returned. IHMSA has discouraged participation for far too long - as long as it is not harmful to the targets - LET THEM SHOOT ! Also, if you allow rifles - you should also change the name of the association ! Another thing to consider is modification of classes in each category - these could be narrowed down a bit. This would definitely be necessary if you allow optics into the Production and Revolver categories. Too many classes = confusion !
Wouldn't UAS have covered all those guns that were 'turned away'? unlimited ANY sight. Give them a UAS card and say have fun.
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

Hosspower wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:35 am
braud357 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:47 am In my opinion the most logical change would be to add a "Open" class to each category. This way, you could allow all of those guns that were "turned away" during all the years of IHMSA. I have seen countless guns (and shooters) turned away because of a slight modification to their gun, and most never returned. IHMSA has discouraged participation for far too long - as long as it is not harmful to the targets - LET THEM SHOOT ! Also, if you allow rifles - you should also change the name of the association ! Another thing to consider is modification of classes in each category - these could be narrowed down a bit. This would definitely be necessary if you allow optics into the Production and Revolver categories. Too many classes = confusion !
Wouldn't UAS have covered all those guns that were 'turned away'? unlimited ANY sight. Give them a UAS card and say have fun.
Not really. UAS has guidelines and rules that can intimidate a new shooter. I can't tell you how many people have expressed hesitancy with the UAS guidelines regarding acceptable shooting positions, especially Creedmore and dead frog. By Open, he is referring to truly open. Any gun, any load, any sights, any shooting position, as long as it doesn't damage targets and is safe. I have adopted this unsanctioned category at my matches and it often gets more shooters than traditional categories. I don't care if the new guy wants to shoot a rifle from sandbags. As long as he doesn't damage targets and shoots in a safe manner, I don't care. It's "Open" category. I myself shoot in our Open category. I have developed a tremor in my gun hand and can no longer hold the sights on a target in traditional positions. But I want to keep shooting so I shoot from a bench with sandbags. It keeps me in the game, even if not for the record. We have other semi-disabled shooters who use the bench in Open category also. I just want people at my match so we can continue shooting silhouette, even if it's not "official" And this may get a new shooter interested in later moving to the traditional categories after he gets familiar with the game. If we don't find a way to attract new shooters, IHMSA has a dim future. Why not try making it easier for the newbies with an open category.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer