Front Sight Apertures

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
kerdunk
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57879

Front Sight Apertures

Post by kerdunk »

Does anyone have a source for front sight apertures? I have a Centra 18 mm front sight and the smallest aperture I can find is 1.8 mm. I would really like to be closer to 1 mm.

Perhaps someone makes their own?
Tim Downs
IHMSA #57879
NRA Life Member
Teacher
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: Front Sight Apertures

Post by jmoore »

I've started making "Hole In Post" front sights, including a nominal 0.048" aperture (~1.2mm). If you have one of the hooded front sight assemblies that takes 10-32 threaded front sight blades it should work. (I did a couple of 0.032" (0.8mm) apertures, but they're a PITA to do and too small for my eyes.) Initial tests and the first couple of actual match results have been positive! For Field Pistol (and BB- yet to be tested) 0.062" and 0.070" work for me. ~0.080" is easy to fabricate and may do for longer sight radii and/or folk that hold well away from the face.

Stephen Kuehl, AKA fa357, also does a nifty acrylic ring/post with aperture or crosshair with aperture for the EABCO front sight hood in various aperture sizes. He will probably take over doing the "HIP" sights if there's demand for said.
One of his email addresses: Moa3020m@gmail.com
User avatar United States of America
kerdunk
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57879

Re: Front Sight Apertures

Post by kerdunk »

Thank you for this reply. I had not thought of putting a hole into a post … clever idea. I have a Centra/Anschutz front sight that accepts circular acrylic inserts. I could get an EABCO and then try to figure out a sight base.

Has anyone tried to mount the stock EABCO front sight base on to a factory Anschutz barrel? Do the holes align? Do you just use 1 hole? Does the contour of the base fit the barrel?

Nothing seems easy in this sport …
Tim Downs
IHMSA #57879
NRA Life Member
Teacher