Questions about Metallic silhouette shooting

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
mg357
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Questions about Metallic silhouette shooting

Post by mg357 »

Hello i am thinking about competing in the Metallic silhouette shooting sport more specially the Big Bore division.

But I have several questions about this specific shooting sport.

1. I am a wheelchair bound individual can I compete sitting in my wheelchair?

2. Can I use factory Ammunition?

3. How long do the matches take place? Do they take place over a period of several days or just one day.

4. Is there any sort of designated break Time during the matches so a participant or participants can eat or drink some fluids and use the bathroom.

5. I know that the targets are set from 50 meters and all the way out to 200 meters.

And that the targets are silhouettes of
chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams

At what distances are these various targets set at
In the big bore division?
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: Questions about Metallic silhouette shooting

Post by 35isit »

mg357 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:15 pm Hello i am thinking about competing in the Metallic silhouette shooting sport more specially the Big Bore division.

But I have several questions about this specific shooting sport.

1. I am a wheelchair bound individual can I compete sitting in my wheelchair?

2. Can I use factory Ammunition?

3. How long do the matches take place? Do they take place over a period of several days or just one day.

4. Is there any sort of designated break Time during the matches so a participant or participants can eat or drink some fluids and use the bathroom.

5. I know that the targets are set from 50 meters and all the way out to 200 meters.

And that the targets are silhouettes of
chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams

At what distances are these various targets set at
In the big bore division?
1. Yes you can shoot from a wheel chair. You need to contact our Physically Challenged chairman Bruce Barrett. Also there are a few others like myself that are physically challenged.
2.Yes. Although expensive as long as it doesn't damage targets you're good to go.
3. Most monthly matches are one day. Championship matches can range from two day to a whole week plus.
4. Most clubs do not provide a break for lunch. Just grab it while you can between guns and take a bathroom break at the same time.
5. 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters.

What area of the country are you in and where do you intend to shoot? Perhaps someone from that area can give you more detailed information about the local ranges.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
mg357
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by mg357 »

I live in Illinois and i don't know where i will be shooting specifically i am currently doing my best to gather as much information about this specific shooting sport as i can since I don't much about it at currently.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Where in Illinois? There are no sanctioned matches in Illinois, so you will need to shoot at nearby ranges in neighboring states.

I run a match in Terre Haute Indiana near the Illinois border, we also have a PC bench if you want to shoot freestyle without the chair. Our facility is PC friendly as we have another wheelchair shooter that sometimes shoots IHMSA here.

You mentioned only big bore distances, do you also shoot .22's?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

You're about 175 miles from me. If you want to come over sometime, I'll spend an afternoon with you and you can shoot some of my guns. I'm retired, and available a lot of weekdays.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000